hearing problems

IanH64

Nov 25, 2011
Crewe UK
My wife who is 45 has recently been diagnosed as EOD and has started to show signs of hearing loss as all appliances with volume have to be turned up which is meaning everyone else in the house can hear it as can everybody in the area. She likes to watch tv in bed but because she has the sound up it means when she falls asleep the telly is still on and during the night when anything noisy comes on it disturbs me. Is hearing loss normal in dementia and how can I get her to have a hearing test as she doesn't see an issue with it. Any help or advice would be very welcome thanks

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
My wife who is 45 has recently been diagnosed as EOD and has started to show signs of hearing loss as all appliances with volume have to be turned up which is meaning everyone else in the house can hear it as can everybody in the area. She likes to watch tv in bed but because she has the sound up it means when she falls asleep the telly is still on and during the night when anything noisy comes on it disturbs me. Is hearing loss normal in dementia and how can I get her to have a hearing test as she doesn't see an issue with it. Any help or advice would be very welcome thanks

Would she be able to read the subtitiles as I have tinnitus I never have the sound loud but have the subtitiles on all the time, you can also get a sound link from the tv or what about earphones with a long wire so she could hear the tv and it would not disturb you,

Best wishes Jeany x

IanH64

Nov 25, 2011
Crewe UK
No the subtitle idea doesn't work as she cannot follow them to well.the the TV in the bedroom doesn't have earphone socket but the other idea I haven't really heard much of so could be something to pursue thanks

Sent from my Vodafone 975 using Talking Point mobile app

IanH64

Nov 25, 2011
Crewe UK
May be worth getting new TV as ours is a bit old but thanks for links I will follow them and hopefully find a solution

Wildflower

Apr 6, 2013
Brighton
You can get earphones that have no wires and so no need to plug them in. My dad has some which were supplied to him free from our LA. They are brilliant, but unfortunately my dad refuses to use them, and so the telly continues to be at full volume, plus the sub titles. It is awful and I can empathise with you. The wireless earphones might be a solution for you though.

IanH64

Nov 25, 2011
Crewe UK
Where were they from and what size are they because if they are too big she won't wear them as she will say they are uncomfortable

Wildflower

Apr 6, 2013
Brighton
They're not very big, and they are light and comfortable. If you google wireless headphones or earphones there are lots available online or I think you may even be able to get them from Argos. There are all different kinds and you don't need a modern TV to use them. My dad just won't wear them because he says he's not deaf and doesn't think he needs them. I can sometimes on rare occasions get him to use them if he has a medical appointment, so that he can hear what is being said in the room and he can actually then hear the conversation. He also has hearing aids which he refuses to wear ever.

Like I said, his were supplied by the local authority, I can't remember which department but they also gave him a chair to use in the shower.

On the box it says - Echo MiniTech+ Hearing Products International Limited. www.hear4you.com