1. Meljay

Meljay New member

Aug 19, 2019
    My mother has mixed Alzheimer’s and vascular dementia and is in the moderate stage. She has recently started to hear singing late at night or just before or after a sleep. She can also hear people moving around and alarms going off very early in the morning. Has anyone else had this? How do I respond when asked if I can hear them as well? Mum is currently blaming the neighbours :)

2. Andrew_McP

Andrew_McP Registered User

Mar 2, 2016
    Male
    South Northwest
    When my mother misinterprets things she hears (or thinks she hears) I "call the Police" to report the problem. They will usually "tell me" that it's being investigated and shouldn't last long.

Some quiet music in the background at bedtime can also sometimes be useful to give my mother something to focus on.

3. Szaitisja

Szaitisja Registered User

Jul 28, 2018
    Female
    Hertfordshire
    Hello
    My friend has been diagnosed with vascular dementia few years ago. She also hear singing sometimes. Usually with her few hours after she starts hearing that she also starts seeing invisible people, luckily their usually her friends who passed away so in a way they are not disturbing. That's usually followed by a period of brain activity when she almost changes to her pre dementia self and remembers everything for up to 48 hours and then she has couple of days when brain seems to really slow down and she is very drowsy and it's hard to wake her up and she hardly eats and drinks.

When she asks about the singing I usually say I can't hear it and then we both decide they must have taken a break or maybe went to pub for few drinks and they might sing again later.

4. Meljay

Meljay New member

Aug 19, 2019
    i hadn’t thought of suggesting the pub as an excuse, I must admit I just say I can’t hear it but as one of the singers is apparently a tenor I’m not sure mum believes me :)
    This stage seems to have suddenly escalated from occasional to most of today so I’m hoping it’s just a phase she may move out from.

5. karaokePete

karaokePete Registered User

Jul 23, 2017
    N Ireland
    If this has started suddenly it may be a good idea to have a check for an infection or dehydration.

Something like an ear infection or UTI could be the cause.

My wife gets auditory hallucinations at night and I tell het that she is just dreaming as she is drifting off to sleep and she has always accepted that explanation.

6. Maggie

Maggie Registered User

Oct 11, 2003
    Female
    Gibraltar/England london Now
    @
    karaokePete

I use to tell my mother that also when she use to experience those symptoms.

I never forget in the early days of caring for my mother full time & being clueless about VD/AZ My mother telling me that she saw my deceased dad on a house & cart in her room.
    I new my mother first date with my mother was went on a horse cart in Gibraltar where they meet .
    So I told her she must of been dreaming .
    She would get very Paranoid also about people hearing things.

7. Meljay

Meljay New member

Aug 19, 2019
    Karaoke Pete,
    Thanks a lot for the UTI suggestion, I’ll go to the Gp tomorrow and arrange a test. Mum has had these instances of noise before but when she’s sleeping not during the day.

8. Meljay

Meljay New member

Aug 19, 2019
    Thanks for all your help and advice, this a great forum!