Hearing Noises

Fab47

Nov 13, 2018
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has come across this problem? My Dad is in mild/moderate phase according to doctors. Just started Donepezil two weeks ago.

Hes convinced there are noises all around the house that sound like a car engine running - I couldn't hear anything when I was there but he is obsessed and every conversation revolves around this noise. He has also started switching the fridge off because hes convinced there is something wrong with it and he won't put the milk in. And the other day he was scared to turn the sky box on incase there was something wrong with it.
He actually seems worse in the last two weeks since he started on the tablets! I'm wondering if its just a co incidence and hes moving into a new phase of the illness?

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has come across this problem? My Dad is in mild/moderate phase according to doctors. Just started Donepezil two weeks ago.

Hes convinced there are noises all around the house that sound like a car engine running - I couldn't hear anything when I was there but he is obsessed and every conversation revolves around this noise. He has also started switching the fridge off because hes convinced there is something wrong with it and he won't put the milk in. And the other day he was scared to turn the sky box on incase there was something wrong with it.
He actually seems worse in the last two weeks since he started on the tablets! I'm wondering if its just a co incidence and hes moving into a new phase of the illness?
Could he have Tinnitus? That is a constant sound in his ears.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Fab47. It's worth considering that donepezil may be responsible for your dad's latest delusions. My dad reacted badly to donepezil and although he could tolerate the lower dose his behaviour became very strange when his dosage was increased to 10 mg.

I think it is worth speaking to his consultant and raising your concerns given the timing.