Hearing noise

thebes

Feb 10, 2014
London
I have just had a lengthy and surreal conversation with my OHwho is wide awake, unusually for him at this time. He has been telling me about this noise, which is at last more pleasant so maybe he will sleep now. The noise had woken him up, and was very loud and nasty he realised I couldn't hear it so tried for a long time to explain it to me. It is controlled by something in his groin:eek:, but definitely heard by his ears using his hearing aid, he checked that was in, yes it was- well no actually they are on the side table as usual over night. It also mattered whether the bed clothes were pulled up or down. And so it went on with the explanation starting over and over again and getting to a point of silence, then having another go. It was important that I understood, and I did my best not only to really understand, but also to go with the flow. But not satisfactorily.
This was a first, and though he has relaxed a bit and let me go on to bed as he could see I was dropping in my tracks, I would appreciate ideas on how to cope better or at least be more helpful next time, as I feel sure it will happen again. Thanks

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
Does he suffer with high blood pressure, as I was thinking maybe he could hear the blood pumping in his ears? There is a main artery in the groin so maybe it would affect blood flow or maybe he is using the wrong word. We could of course guess forever.

I think I would offer him a radio or cd on near the bed or even offer him headphones to listen to the radio. If it becomes an obsession about blocking out an external noise maybe try ear plugs or ear protectors like workmen, not comfortable but may distract him enough to sleep then you could take them off.

Unfortunately, hallucinations come in all types including sense of smell, taste, hearing as well as sight but I think most people assume they are things that are seen only but it's not correct.

I hope you have a peaceful and restful night now. Sleep tight.

thebes

Feb 10, 2014
London
Does he suffer with high blood pressure, as I was thinking maybe he could hear the blood pumping in his ears? There is a main artery in the groin so maybe it would affect blood flow or maybe he is using the wrong word. We could of course guess forever.

I think I would offer him a radio or cd on near the bed or even offer him headphones to listen to the radio. If it becomes an obsession about blocking out an external noise maybe try ear plugs or ear protectors like workmen, not comfortable but may distract him enough to sleep then you could take them off.

Unfortunately, hallucinations come in all types including sense of smell, taste, hearing as well as sight but I think most people assume they are things that are seen only but it's not correct.

I hope you have a peaceful and restful night now. Sleep tight.

Thanks for those thoughts. Earlier this year he was taken off his blood pressure pills as he was having a bad reaction to all medication, and it's not been checked at all for the last few months so that it worth looking into. I will try earplugs next time. His hearing loss distorts sound so listening to anything probably isn't on, but I could also try leaving his hearing aids in to see if that helps him.
He went off to sleep and slept reasonably until a while ago.But again is unusually restless this morning so it's a case of wait and see, can't help thinking that something is brewing, he is on antibiotics for a chest infection but maybe they are not working as well as I had thought.