Hearing aids

Shirlego

Dec 14, 2015
Hi, my mother has Alzheimer's and has probably lost over ten hearing aids or more now. It is a constant problem and getting worse. I am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to get hearing aids with location finders and how much do they cost? I have seen some adverts for iPhone compatible hearing aids. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Many thx!

Gordon

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Gosh I 've never heard of location finders for hearing aids but you can borrow my kids - they became ace at finding hearing aids - absolute treasures.

I am sure someone on here will have some more practical solutions but meanwhile welcome to TP. Lots of support on here xx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
No not heard of location finder for hearing aids..... Have read on here that someone used fishing line tied to hearing aid and also a safety pin that was pinned to jumper

No idea if successful. Mum cheerfully destroyed her many hearing aids.... That she doesn't have them anymore

Think the unnatural noise created by hearing aids bothered her so she constantly fiddled with them until they were in pieces. She's much happier now

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
My Dad doesn't like wearing hearing aids either. He used to hate me putting them in and take them out as soon as you left the room. I stopped making him wear them as it was becoming a source of stress for both of us. I have got used to repeating myself and speaking clearly and am lucky that his hearing loss is mild. It also seems to be as much an issue with processing information as actual deafness.

I think the idea of securing them with fishing line and safety pins sounds like a good one. X

Shirlego

Dec 14, 2015
Gosh I 've never heard of location finders for hearing aids but you can borrow my kids - they became ace at finding hearing aids - absolute treasures.

I am sure someone on here will have some more practical solutions but meanwhile welcome to TP. Lots of support on here xx

Thx for your reply. Your kids sound great! :)

Shirlego

Dec 14, 2015
My Dad doesn't like wearing hearing aids either. He used to hate me putting them in and take them out as soon as you left the room. I stopped making him wear them as it was becoming a source of stress for both of us. I have got used to repeating myself and speaking clearly and am lucky that his hearing loss is mild. It also seems to be as much an issue with processing information as actual deafness.

I think the idea of securing them with fishing line and safety pins sounds like a good one. X
Thx for your reply. Interesting idea but I am not sure how I would tie the fishing line to the hearing aids?

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
True. Could you use a strategic dab of superglue to fix the fishing line? Not sure if it work, but it might.......sorry to not have been more helpful.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Earstay looks great. I srarted buying cheap hearing aids from china on ebay so we have a couple of spares all the time. They are seimens and £42 each. One mum went into the shower cost £700 so its a bargain really. The lost ones often turn up eventually. I think my mum would take off this strap. She is in a care home so little name tiles i can glue on would be great. Anyone know?

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Quilty would Tipp-ex do the trick for naming or a 'sharpie' pen (very good marker pen)

That tip on buying from China is a good one - but now does that work with getting an ear mould?

betsie

Jun 11, 2012
We are in the same boat. Mum lost both hers 2 weeks ago but they turned up 4 days later. Went missing again last night but I can't face looking everywhere again. I turned everything out last time and didn't find them but mum came across them herself. It is so frustrating. I've decided not to get any more replacements it will just be an endless cycle of hunting for the blessed things.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
We used to keep a 'spare' for emergencies because my ma was lost without it and usually, but not always, the other one turned up in between - or even more often my son would go on a 'grandma hunt' in the broadest sense!

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
No ear mold but comes with three different size ear pieces. I tried sharp but it wears off. The plastic does not seem to take the ink well.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
I keep a spare in my handbag now with batteries and a tester. My care home bag is like mary poppins now! The joys!

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Come on the Quilty - share with us what is in your Mary Poppins Bag .....................