Hearing aids

RJS UK

Aug 23, 2019
Hello.

I’ve just arrived so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

My mum is 80, has AD/Vascular dementia for a year and is managing at home alone with lots of input from us.

We have Alexa devices everywhere and she gets on fantastically with them where she couldn’t cope with the telephone. We’ve got heaps of other tech that’s making life better but we hit a wall with her hearing aids.

Her hands aren’t great, she has poor vision and her memory is worse so when she takes them out but forgets to switch them off the batteries get eaten up and the hearing aids fail.

Hearing aid batteries are fiendishly small so changing them is a struggle for her. We get through loads dropped or used up at night.

I’ve asked colleagues if there are hearing aids like apple ear buds that could charge in a box overnight, but nobody knows.
I’m sure my mum isn’t the first and certainly not the last person who would have their life improved by rechargeable batteries?

If anyone has already addressed this issue I’d be hugely grateful to find out more.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Hello.

I’ve just arrived so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

My mum is 80, has AD/Vascular dementia for a year and is managing at home alone with lots of input from us.

We have Alexa devices everywhere and she gets on fantastically with them where she couldn’t cope with the telephone. We’ve got heaps of other tech that’s making life better but we hit a wall with her hearing aids.

Her hands aren’t great, she has poor vision and her memory is worse so when she takes them out but forgets to switch them off the batteries get eaten up and the hearing aids fail.

Hearing aid batteries are fiendishly small so changing them is a struggle got her. We get through loads dropped or used up at night.

I’ve asked colleagues if there are hearing aids like apple ear buds that could charge in a box overnight, but nobody knows.
I’m sure my mum isn’t the first and certainly not the last person who would have their life improved by rechargeable batteries?

If anyone has already addressed this issue I’d be hugely grateful to find out more.
Thanks.

Welcome to DTP @RJS UK

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Boots do rechargeable hearing aids, but be warned they are not cheap.

You can buy digital aids which do not have a volume control so would not be left on at full whack all night. I change my batteries perhaps every ten days and don't switch them off at night.

Good luck

RJS UK

Aug 23, 2019
Boots do rechargeable hearing aids, but be warned they are not cheap.

You can buy digital aids which do not have a volume control so would not be left on at full whack all night. I change my batteries perhaps every ten days and don't switch them off at night.

Good luck
Thanks,
I’ll have a look - has to be better than frequent cap in hand visits to the GP for two more packs and tiny batteries all over the place.

We disabled the volume buttons on the new fancy NHS ones for her but they seem to gobble power if she doesn’t open the battery door, and of course when she does the batteries often fall out!

Thanks for the info.

R

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aliso