Hearing Aids in Nursing Home

mif

Aug 4, 2013
My grandmother has been in a NH for 4 weeks now. Its been a difficult 4 weeks.
I took my grandmother to get new hearing aids last week, she had hearing aids years ago but didnt wear them, but her hearing is quite poor now so she does need them.

I questioned the nurse on duty as to why my grandmother hadnt been wearing her aids and was told that hearing aids are kept in the office and only generally used for family visits. I understand that aids may get lost but wouldn't it be best to take that chance rather than only being able to communicate properly when family visit.

How do others manage with hearing aids?

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
I am afraid I have given up.

My mum put one set in the wash. On another occasion after an exhaustive search one was found on the floor of a bathroom. Too often we searched her room to find where she had hidden them. I then put them in the office for safekeeping as they have done for your grandmother. I found an old pair of over the ear ones to give mum. She wore them for a while until they got lost too.:mad::mad:

So, I would say your grandmother's hearing aids are very likely to get lost.:( The staff can't be expected necessarily to notice if she takes them out and puts them somewhere. It is just luck if they spot her at the moment.

If you want to take the chance, I would suggest getting a spare pair to keep somewhere safe.

Sorry I don't have any solution, but if you come up with a workable idea, please let me know.

xx

mif

Aug 4, 2013
Yes I completely understand how hard it is for the staff to keep track of belongings especially as things generally get hidden in the strangest of places for safe keeping. :rolleyes:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Nightmare, the hours of my life I'll never get back looking for first my Mum's hearing aids and now my wife's, however, I believe it is important they do use them. Without them they start to become withdrawn, moody and introspective in my experience, imagine what life would be like if you were deaf, no TV, radio, people going past moving their mouths at you and you can't hear a work. I'm currently looking for some over the ear type thing as repetitive ear infections means she can't wear them for more than a couple of hours and without them her life is much poorer.
K

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976