Heard nothing from carehome

skinnny

May 5, 2020
My mother has been in local care home now about 4 weeks after falling and some time in hospital.
I have tried to get information from the nurse who was testing her for uti as she was confused.
I have emailed the manager and the activities coordinator in an effort to find out how she was settling in.
Last time I spoke to her she said she was frightened and would I keep in touch.
Obviously I am concerned but dont know what else I can do. I have seen her a couple of times at a window but she wasnt really herself. I guess all the moves have had an impact. From what she tells me in her confused state there had been illness at the home.
Anyhow I am feeling totally left out and in the dark.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
That's a lot to have happened in a short period of time during this pandemic so it must be distressing. I suppose you will just have to be persistent as the Care Home staff must be very busy at the moment.

I wish you the strenfth you need.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
My mum's in a care home and it's really difficult at the moment to get regular updates as the staff are so busy. When did you last see your mum or receive an update? Maybe you could try phoning and arranging another window visit? I haven't been able to see mum through a window as she isn't on the ground floor but I've been going to the home reasonably regularly to drop off toiletries & gifts and usually get an opportunity to speak to one of the staff then to find out how things are, although don't get a huge amount of information. You could maybe ask to speak to the manager when you visit (social distancing) and they should be able to let you know the result of the UTI test as they don't usually take long to come back. I hope that something can be arranged so that you will be kept more informed about things as it must be stressful for you, particularly as your mum has only recently gone into the home.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @skinnny . That's a lot of change for you mum to deal with, so she is bound to be confused. I think residents can get more confused seeing someone through the window and not understanding why they can't come in too. I would try calling later in the day. I have found that a little after 6 is a good time to call my mum's care-home, as things seem a bit less frantic after "supper" and before they start putting everyone to bed. Good luck.

skinnny

May 5, 2020
My mum's in a care home and it's really difficult at the moment to get regular updates as the staff are so busy. When did you last see your mum or receive an update? Maybe you could try phoning and arranging another window visit? I haven't been able to see mum through a window as she isn't on the ground floor but I've been going to the home reasonably regularly to drop off toiletries & gifts and usually get an opportunity to speak to one of the staff then to find out how things are, although don't get a huge amount of information. You could maybe ask to speak to the manager when you visit (social distancing) and they should be able to let you know the result of the UTI test as they don't usually take long to come back. I hope that something can be arranged so that you will be kept more informed about things as it must be stressful for you, particularly as your mum has only recently gone into the home.
Thanks for your advise, I did try speaking to a manager and was told she was in meetings all day. Also the nurse promised to call me back about uti. I will try again tom with the other half and some flowers for mum. I think your right about them being busy. The window seemed better than the phone as shes going deaf but your right she didnt understand why I couldn't come in.
Thankx

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I will try again tom with the other half and some flowers for mum.

Good luck and hope your mum is doing OK. I often find that turning up in person is more effective than phoning or sending an email as it's not so easy to ignore! :)

skinnny

May 5, 2020
Managed to see mum through the window,
Looking much more relaxed and quite chatty. I do hope shes finally settling in.

skinnny

May 5, 2020
Just had a phone call from carehome manager, who asked me what I wanted and said all communication is being done by email, rather strange o thought as I only wanted to speak to mum. She said they only have 1 phone and they cant take any incoming calls when the lines blocked. Well I thought that's not my fault, she has a mobile but doesnt pick up when I ring.

Saying that I had a lovely email from activities coordinator with pictures of mum doing well it seems.
I think the manager and I were talking at cross purposes, didnt help that I had trouble understanding her accent.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951