Health needs versus altziemers

oldbones

Oct 19, 2013
My husband died on Monday. He had been diagnosed with altziemers/dementia some 8 years ago. Since January he was in hospital for 2 months, back out for 3 weeks, then back in for just over a week. During all of that time you would think they would have discovered he had massive cancer tumours of the lungs, liver, stomach and bones. It seems to me, that because he had altziemers/dementia, others problems were not considered. John had lost the ability to speak and so was unable to tell them he was in pain. However they should have found out with blood tests, x-rays scans or something. He was in there long enough.
ONE OTHER THING--------- In England you need to have the person you are caring for assessed for CHC by a social worker, (continuing health care) especially if they are in hospital. This is what has to be done to see whether he/she fits the criteria for NHS funding. Check what the nurses are putting in to the patients charts every day. We found they were ticking everthing regardless of the patients true patterns of eating, toileting, walking unaided, getting in and out of bed independantly. etc. Take cars of yourseves as well as your patient. Hope this helps a little.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello old bones please accept my sincere condolenses, how awful for you, l will agree once the medical team know they have AD nothing is done, my hubby has Glaucoma and Macular disease, 2yrs ago they were going to give him drops for his eyes, but when they knew he had AD they said we will leave it for another year, if he goes blind l will sue them. So sorry you have lost your beloved husband think of you

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
This is unbelievably wrong of those who are supposed to offer care in hospital. Scares the living daylights out of me every time I read anything like this, and I've read more than I dare disclose.

I'm so sorry about your poor husband. May I offer my sincere condolences on your loss?

oldbones

Oct 19, 2013
Thanks

Thanks for your responses. I will be making a full and frank complaint to the hospital, once his funeral is over. Not because we want compensation, but what we do want, is the hospital staff trained on how to deal with people with AD. I hope after my complaint in writing and the spoken word, that others in a similar position get the care and dignity they deserve. Hope he is resting in peace now poor beggar/

tinap

Nov 2, 2014
west midlands
Sorry for your loss and I agree with everything you say my mom passed on Monday too and sadly was treated exactly the same it's disgusting the way someone who as dementia can be written off and treated so poorly compared to other patients without this awful disease. I feel so angry with the treatment, or lack of it which my mom received. So you have my total understanding and heartfelt sympathy Tina xx

oldbones

Oct 19, 2013
so sorry

Sorry for your loss and I agree with everything you say my mom passed on Monday too and sadly was treated exactly the same it's disgusting the way someone who as dementia can be written off and treated so poorly compared to other patients without this awful disease. I feel so angry with the treatment, or lack of it which my mom received. So you have my total understanding and heartfelt sympathy Tina xx

Sorry for your loss. It really is disgraceful that our loved ones are treated so shamefully. I think the difference is that some do nursing as a vocation, but other do it as a 'job'. Hope your mom rests in peace, and my thoughts are with you and yours during the days to come.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My condolences to both of you, oldbones and tinap. And you are so right - it should not happen. Even though it is difficult to diagnose or treat people who cannot communicate, and you might excuse doctors missing the cancer - there is no excuse for falsifying medical charts for the sake of the convenience of the staff!

katek

Jan 19, 2015
My husband died on Monday. He had been diagnosed with altziemers/dementia some 8 years ago. Since January he was in hospital for 2 months, back out for 3 weeks, then back in for just over a week. During all of that time you would think they would have discovered he had massive cancer tumours of the lungs, liver, stomach and bones. It seems to me, that because he had altziemers/dementia, others problems were not considered. John had lost the ability to speak and so was unable to tell them he was in pain. However they should have found out with blood tests, x-rays scans or something. He was in there long enough.
ONE OTHER THING--------- In England you need to have the person you are caring for assessed for CHC by a social worker, (continuing health care) especially if they are in hospital. This is what has to be done to see whether he/she fits the criteria for NHS funding. Check what the nurses are putting in to the patients charts every day. We found they were ticking everthing regardless of the patients true patterns of eating, toileting, walking unaided, getting in and out of bed independantly. etc. Take cars of yourseves as well as your patient. Hope this helps a little.

Oldbones

I am so sorry to hear about you husband's treatment (or lack of) in hospital.

I think hospitals are just not geared up to deal with dementia patients, and staff inadequately trained in general, (although I think that now they might be starting to address it). From our experience of my father's few hospital admissions, we dread any more. A few years ago when he was taken to A & E following a fall at his care home, the young doctor attempting to get details from him so that he could fill in the paperwork didn't seem to understand when I explained he wouldn't know the answers. And my mother was even asked to come in and help as he "kept getting out of bed and wandering around" (hello? He's got advanced AD! That's what they do!).

Your other point re CHC assessments is a very valid one indeed. The awarding or not of CHC rests very firmly on the records kept so it is absolutely crucial that they represent the true picture. Thanks for drawing people's attention to that.