Health checks for housebound

symarb

Oct 4, 2005
Derbyshire
My wife is to all intents and purposes housebound. I have been enquiring of our GP if there is any protocol set up to provide regular health checks for her. It seems there is not. The doctor will come out if called but that relies on the carer noticing when there is something obviously wrong. My wife constantly says she has a pain but cannot say where. If I called the doctor out each time it would be unfair on him. A carer in most instances has little or no medical knowledge so could miss some vital clues to the health of their charge. The purpose of this thread is to say that I am going to pursue this matter until I get a regular check for my wife and any advice or support would be appreciated.
Symar

Diane Scott

Oct 7, 2005
West Midlands
I believe that GP's should REGULARLY visit people at home if they are over a certaing age - I think it's over 80 but wouldn' swear to that. Don't know if this is any help to you?

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Dianne
I don't think there are any laid down rules about a GP visiting.
I think it is down to the discretion of the Dr.
Most GPs will call if asked I find,it is down to the individual Dr
Norman

symarb

Oct 4, 2005
Derbyshire
Visiting GP's

Norman, don't you think that there should be a regime that for someone with dementia who is unable to comunicate ought to have a medical check say. every three months?
Syd

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Symarb
I do think there should be a facility for every one to have regular check ups.
We are told there are not the resources for this.
I think services vary from area to area,ther may be some service in your area.
Norman