Health Check-ups for somebody with Dementia

foolishfriend

Jan 27, 2013
Hello

My Mum had moderate Alzheimer’s (her ACE-R a year ago was 52, probably less now).

She is mostly cheerful despite having almost no memory, and as far as I know generally physically well. I am her son, and full-time primary carer.

Something came to light recently which made me wonder about how to go about establishing whether my Mum has any ongoing physical health problems.

This all came to light on a routine eye test, where is was discovered that Mum had such a severe cataract, she could hardly see anything out of one eye.

However, she had mentioned nothing about this to me, and it got me thinking, how do I try to ensure that physical problems get picked up?

Here GP’s surgery doesn’t offer much in the way of health screening and (pre COVID) she would only see a dementia nurse who would talk to us about medication, take her blood pressure, and that’s about it, every six months.

I am wondering what the best way is to make sure that my Mum’s physical health is looked at as a whole, on a regular basis. I am thinking I may need to arrange this privately.

I’m sure this is something that other people in a similar position to me have had to think about and find solutions for so I’d be extremely grateful to hear any suggestions about the best way to go about this.

Thanks

Tim

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I have cut and paste to an article on private health examinations.
But please remember it is pre Covid.

I think It would be a good idea to pay for the screening, as long as you realise the restrictions that dementia will cause.
Example, there will be plenty of lifestyle advice.(Eat apples not cake!)
She will not retain that information So money wasted.

Some examinations could be intimate. Do you think this is a good idea for her ?

She is unlikely to say ‘ my left leg has an intermittent ache near the ankle’ as she won’t remember!

When you support someone with dementia, part of your job is to be Sherlock Holmes! Why are they rubbing their tummy? Holding their head?
Sadly the inability to communicate pain or discomfort can be a feature of dementia.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti