Health and Social Care in Scotland

smartieplum

Jul 29, 2014
Just looking for a bit of feedback on peoples' experience with this. Mine, not so good.

Dearie Me

Feb 2, 2012
Scotland
I’m also in Scotland, but our experience has been mostly positive. If you give a wee bit more info, I can let you know how we got on. We have gone through the full process, from occasional day care, gradually increasing, to respite then a move into residential care. More recently Mum had to move to a nursing home. During the whole experience we have also gone from self funding to local authority funding with no problems.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm also in Scotoand. My mum died in 2011 and my husband in July 16. Mum had vascular dementia for around 5 years and my husband's diagnosis of Alzheimer's was in 2001. They were both at home with me until the last.

I began with agency carers for. My mum and that was not successful. Around 6 or 7 years ago I moved to Direct Payments (now known as self directed support). We had an excellent care manager who undertook the assessments and we were allocated a number of hours. The Dundee Carers Centre supported me in the employment of two carers and our exoerience was very positive.

I know that now, in Scotland, people are entitled to a year's post diagnostic support. This wasn't available when we were in the system but I believe that this is provided by a dementia nurse. I can't comment on how successful this is.

Have you contacted your local branch of Alzheimer Scotland? If not you'll find your local branch here -

https://www.alzscot.org

They will have a dementia advisor and their helpline is open 24/7. The phone number for that is in this link- https://www.alzscot.org/services_and_support/dementia_helpline

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
I am also in Scotland, mum was diagnosed 3 years ago and we were allocated a dementia link worker for 1 year which involved her visiting us 4 times during that year for little more than a chat and a cup of tea. So far we have not had to ask for any further help although I can see this changing in the near future.

scattysue

Aug 20, 2015
I care for my sister who has Alzheimers - both living in Scotland about 30 miles from each other. My sister lives alone and has 4 home care visits each day - most of the time this works reasonably well. She also goes to Day Care three days per week which is a real help - she loves the people at the centre and looks forward to going on her allocated days - she has no memory of what she has done when she returns but always says she has enjoyed herself.
Recently, there has been a marked deterioration in her condition, and I am currently trying to access some extra "companion time" for her especially at the weekends. I am also looking into the possibility of some respite care.
On the whole I have found the local authority to be helpful in providing the care she needs and I am grateful for the help the home care and day care staff provide as she could not remain living independently without this help.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karen.geddes@thethinblack