Head toward a financial crisis....help.

Jgrafton88

Nov 11, 2020
Hi everyone I'm so glad I've found this community. Recently my grandad has been diagnosed with dementia, hes still at home and currently awaiting assessment by the social services which I have no idea how long this will be. My dad who himself has health issues and is currently trying struggling to get the money from the government he deserves, is looking after him. Feeding him, buying all the essentis etc. However my dad is struggling financially he (by rights) won't take my grandads money to pay for things and my grandad being in the state he is forgets that he's been out and brought things for him. This is only 4 months in and the stress is affecting my dads health even more and despite my grandad being my mums dad, my dad is the one he trusts and feels safe with and my dad won't pass on his care to anyone else.
My grandad knows he's getting muddled and confused and has register an lpa but until this is stamped (upto 10 weeks) nothing can be done, essentially in all areas our hands are tied due to (in my grandads words buerocrates)
Sorry to babble on but what I'm asking is does anyone know if my dad can save receipts from shopping and petrol (for driving my grandad) and once the lpa is stamped claim that money back in someway?
Thanks for reading this and any help, I'm at a loss and cant find any info online ?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
No problem, unlike a deputyship the OPG will only ask for evidence of expenditure if a third party informs them of alleged mishandling.

Just keep the receipts, maybe numbered with a list and basic detail.

Jgrafton88

Nov 11, 2020
No problem, unlike a deputyship the OPG will only ask for evidence of expenditure if a third party informs them of alleged mishandling.

Just keep the receipts, maybe numbered with a list and basic detail.
Thank you, that helps so much, I think I though that this was the case but I just wanted to make sure, so I can better explain it to my dad.

Thanks again

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Jgrafton88
a warm welcome to DTP

it's fine for your dad to ask for and accept money from your grandad to be able pay for anything bought for your grandad, your dad shouldn't if possible be out of pocket and have the worry that goes along with being short of money himself

or is it that your grandad isn't understanding that your dad has bought things for him and so not seeing that he needs to pay for what has been bought ... if so, certainly keep records and your dad can be repaid when the LPAs come back

might your dad and grandad pool some money each week to use for expenses ... or your dad say to your grandad that he's going shopping and it will cost roughly so much so your grandad needs to give him x amount before he goes, then give back the change and receipts with the shopping

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet