Having trouble with taking tablets

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
My husband doesn't appear to have a swallowing problem when eating meals but he is having a problem with his tablets. Two of them are very small tablets and I assume he can't actually feel them in his mouth. He'll say he's swallowed them but when I look in his mouth I can still see them.
But he's also having trouble with other slightly larger tablets too. I'll ask him if he's swallowed them and he'll say yes. When he opens his mouth I can't see them so assume he has swallowed them. I give him water to make sure he washes them down, but sometimes when he gives me the glass back I can see the tablet, or what's left of it, in the bottom of the glass.
It is a worry.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Try putting the tablets into food that is easy to swallow such as jam, honey or yoghurt. Get a spoonful of the food, push the tablet/s into it and get him to eat the food from the spoon.
Its a trick I used to use with my daughter who was terrible at swallowing tablets

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH has this problem so much some of his meds are now in liquid form. I have found the earlier in the day he can take those in tablet form the better but trying to hide in them in food just doesn't work as he 'feels' soft food with his tongue and if anything is hard he just crunches it. I assume he is trapping the tablets between his tongue and the roof of his mouth for some reason as he has no problem with swallowing.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan