Having to move care home, as the one we are using has gone into administration

Sleightholme

May 17, 2018
Out of the blue yesterday, we received a call from the care home to say that they had gone into administration, and there is an emergency meeting tonight.
My mother in law who is diagnosed EMI Nursing, has been in the home for seven years. She is 98, double incontinent, has to be dressed, aided to walk, and be fed, but does enjoy all the singing and dancing entertainments that have been provided.
I was shocked to discover how few EMI Nursing places there are available in this area, of sufficiently good standard.We live in Whitby, which is about an hours drive from the home, and there are none in Whitby, Pickering, Malton etc. The only one in Scarborough requires improvement!
We have been informed that there is no rush to move her, but because of the lack of places we are trying to get her settled somewhere else as soon as possible.
We are also concerned that staff will be leaving, though the home says they will provide agency staff, if there are still residents who have found nowhere.
I have just listened to Radio 4 You and Yours about this subject, which was on Tuesday, and was amazed how many homes are closing.
Considering we have a population that is living longer this is absolutely crazy!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Sleightholme
and welcome to TP
very sorry to hear this news; very difficult for your mother-I-law, all the residents and staff, and the families
I hope you are able to find a suitable new home for her sooner rather than later

Last edited: