1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Having my wife back

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by azzar, Jul 10, 2015.

1. azzar

azzar Registered User

Dec 2, 2014
    Last night I took my wife who has Dementia to see Neil Diamond in Manchester, she has been a fan of his for as long as I have known her 48 years. I was very wary of doing this I didn't know how she would cope and am I glad I took her for over 2 hours she sang ,clapped and danced to his music it was like having her back to the person she used to be.
    So sometimes you can turn the clock back I know for short periods but it well worth it.

2. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    How wonderful! I have goosebumps just thinking of it. I'm so pleased for you both.

3. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Oh how lovely. Store that memory in your treasure chest.

4. Kjn

Kjn Registered User

Jul 27, 2013
    Aww I'm so pleased for you .

5. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    A warm welcome to TP azzar - thanks for such a lovely first post - what a very special outing for you both.

6. jaymor

jaymor Volunteer Moderator

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    Welcome to Talking Point and what a wonderful first post. It must have been so magical and as a Neil diamond fan myself I know what it must have meant to your wife to see him and enjoy his music. Well done.

7. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    We saw him at the O2 in London some years ago. It was fab but the best show we saw has to be Rod Stewart. The guy's a legend. :cool:

8. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    To be honest I don't think it mattered who Azzar and his wife saw. The important thing was that Mrs A had such a very special time and Mr A felt he had his wife back. :)

9. Ash148

Ash148 Registered User

Jan 1, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland
    Wonderful. Music reaches deep down inside us all

10. Lilac Blossom

Lilac Blossom Registered User

Oct 6, 2014
    Scotland
    Thank you Azzar - I am so glad you had such a happy evening together - thank you for sharing your joy with us all xx

11. starryuk

starryuk Registered User

Nov 8, 2012
    Azzar,

Your post was a joy to read. I am so glad you had such a wonderful time together.
    Thank you for inspiring us.

12. pamann

pamann Registered User

Oct 28, 2013
    Kent
    I had my hubby back today only for a few mins, this is going to make you laugh, l was gardening, cutting back shrubs, had the wheelie bin which was full up so got inside to crush it down, but l couldn't get out as the rubbish in it sunk to the bottom, hubby was in the gazebo l called for help, he came to my call and helped me out calling me my darling l am here, he hasn't called me that for many years, l felt so choked up.

13. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    That's so lovely Pamann.

(No photographs of you stuck in the wheelie bin I suppose!?:D)

14. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    :D

15. pippop1

pippop1 Registered User

Apr 8, 2013
    Dvd?

Azzar, how lovely. Do you have a DVD of a Neil Diamond concert that your wife might enjoy at home? It might be a good gift for her.

16. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    That's such a lovely post to read.
    What a pleasure it must have been for you to see your wife respond so happily.
    You took a a gamble and it paid off wonderfully. Well done to you both. :)

17. chick1962

chick1962 Registered User

Apr 3, 2014
    Female
    near Folkestone
    How lovely pam :) xxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

18. Alan19531953

Alan19531953 Registered User

Jun 16, 2015
    Nice to hear

These occasional moments are to be treasured