Have your say on the government's Dementia 2020 Challenge

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
This is an opportunity for people living with dementia, current and former carers, and friends and family of people living with dementia in England.

The government’s current challenge on dementia, launched in 2015, expires this year.

The themes of the new strategy are: dementia awareness, health and care, research, reducing risk and impact, and technology. There are a number of draft commitments spread around those 5 themes.

The Department of Health and Social Care has asked Alzheimer's Society to find out from people affected by dementia whether they think the proposed commitments in the new strategy are the right ones, and what they think will help to achieve them.

Our Policy team is offering a range of ways for people to have their say, so you can choose which one works best for you - and even have your say from the comfort of your own armchair!

You can take part below, and choose whichever method you're most comfortable with:
If you have any questions or you'd like more information, you can email Lindsey Ambrose, Dementia Voice Lead, at Lindsey.Ambrose@alzheimers.org.uk

The closing date is 30 March 2020.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
1. These are David Cameron's proposals - is Boris Johnson in total agreement or will he change some/all of it?
2. It's full of wonderful 'in a perfect world' ideas that would cost billions. I don't believe 90% of it will ever happen.
3. It's full of photos of shiny happy people with dementia, enjoying life and carers who have nothing better to do than sit and chat endlessly. Because as we all know, that's what PWD's are like, all the time.

So why should I believe any of this? Sorry, but the whole thing just made me really angry.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
1. These are David Cameron's proposals - is Boris Johnson in total agreement or will he change some/all of it?
2. It's full of wonderful 'in a perfect world' ideas that would cost billions. I don't believe 90% of it will ever happen.
3. It's full of photos of shiny happy people with dementia, enjoying life and carers who have nothing better to do than sit and chat endlessly. Because as we all know, that's what PWD's are like, all the time.

So why should I believe any of this? Sorry, but the whole thing just made me really angry.
They obviously don’t have a clue feel the same as you

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Thanks everyone - what you think about the new strategy is really important, so please feel free to share your honest views in the survey or interview.

Wakky

Jan 5, 2020
They obviously don’t have a clue feel the same as you
Agree 100% It's all very woolly, and as you say, shiny happy people chatting around a table.
I was angry at the "educating carers" to give the correct care, the focus is all to not spend any money if they can help it, keep the unpaid spouse, child, relative doing it all, then when they can no longer do it, charge a fortune for a place in a care home. I filled in the survey, but they will only see what they want to see.