Have you registered as a carer?

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
I have been a full time carer for my mother for 4 years and i get carers allowance,mums doctor knows that I'm her carer,but I haven't ever bothered to become a registered carer.i just wondered if anyone else had,I remembered the doctors surgery mentioned it a few years ago and at that time they handed out a form that needed to be filled in,but I now see that you can do it online at our practice.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
That's a good idea @wilko73. I did it as soon as we registered at our current surgery 4 years ago. It's also worth registering POA with them even if the person you are attorney for still has capacity. I did that about two years ago on the suggestion of the care housing manager as a precaution and to allow me to be informed of anything my partner may forget 5 minutes after the doctor tells her.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @wilko73 Like you, my GP knows that I am a carer and I haven't formally 'registered' but I think it's a good idea to fill out a form if you have the opportunity to do so. You have nothing to lose, and it will act as a prompt to the surgery to make sure that your records show that you are a carer.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i told mine to add it to my details. i have poa but not shown it yet as i am not able to go out and show it but when my husband did go to the doctors and i phoned them in advance to ask if theres any new treatments to write it down as my husband wont remember and i deal with his meds. the nurse gave him a printout of whats wrong and what we needed to do to correct it. im registered with carers org and city council

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
. i have poa but not shown it yet as i am not able to go out and show it
If it was registered with the OPG on or after 17th July 2020 you don't have to go, you can allow them internet access.

'How does the Use a lasting power of attorney service work?

Customers whose LPAs are registered by the OPG (this is the last thing we do before returning it to you) on or after the 17 July 2020 will receive an LPA reference number and activation key in their registration letter. Both attorneys and donors on the LPA will receive these details. They can then visit www.gov.uk/use-lpa to create an account and add the LPA by using the reference number and activation key, along with their date of birth. Once the LPA is added, the customer can choose to share the details by generating a secure access code to provide to third party organisations. The third party can then view the LPA details by going to www.gov.uk/view-lpa, adding the customer name and secure access code. This enables the organisation to check the LPA is valid and offers a downloadable version of the LPA summary to save for their records.'

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
The county we live in has a Council Carer's organisation whereby you register and your details are passed on to social services.
We've been issued with an Carer Alert card so that if OH or I are involved in an accident (or whatever), the card will alert whoever checks my purse or OH wallet, and start a chain of events to ensure mum is not abandoned.
Does that make us registered Carer's? I'm not 100% sure, although we have PoA and the surgery are ok with that.
The time's OH and I leave mum at home on her own are few, but it's reassuring to know that if something happens mum won't be at home alone for hours/days/weeks -that's my nightmare.

Edit: sorry, just tucked mum up in bed.

I don't receive Carer's Allowance and we're a strange household of mum, who if she goes into a care/nursing home, would be self funding, OH who is retired, and me who still works, albeit with reduced days to two a week since mum moved in.

We are carer's but are we CARER'S who count in statistics?

Last edited:

LHS

Oct 5, 2018
I think you should register as a carer. I have just received an invite to a COVID jab from my GP. I a 49 , pretty healthy and the only reason I think I have been offered a jab so soon is due to being registered as a carer.

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
I think you should register as a carer. I have just received an invite to a COVID jab from my GP. I a 49 , pretty healthy and the only reason I think I have been offered a jab so soon is due to being registered as a carer

Hi thanks I have registered,I'm having my jab on Friday and i was pleased to see that our council is providing free transport as i'm a non driver.I'm 47 but I do have diabetes.

LeahDarm

Mar 2, 2021
Yeah I did it, it wasn't took tough! Online services are much better than what they used to be before the pandemic.