Have you notified your car insurers?

Trixxie

Oct 3, 2014
Midsomer Norton near Bath
My hubby was diagnosed last October with Alzheimer's at 54 years old, after the initial shock & emotion & stress it all brought I did finally get around to sorting out our paperwork, I have organised our lasting power of attorney and contacted DVLA regarding my hubby's driving licence and he's got a new one for 12 months at a time but I have to admit I have not got around to contacting my husband's car insurance company. Have you & did the premiums increase? Thank you in advance.

Hubby recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's

MLM

Jun 17, 2014
Manchester
Definitely notify your insurance company. Without notifying them about a health condition it will potentially void your insurance.

MLM

Jun 17, 2014
Manchester
My father-in-law was also diagnosed age 54 last year :) he has just stopped driving recently though because he didn't feel confident that he would pass a driving assessment and then he was in a car accident (not related to his dementia).

MLM

Jun 17, 2014
Manchester
Have you sorted out Power of Attorney as well? I would definitely do that if you haven't already.

Alison N

Jan 3, 2015
Surrey
My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimers last September at the age of 51. We notified DVLA and he was also given his licence on a yearly basis. We told the insurance company and they were happy to continue insuring him and it didn't cost any extra at all. I expected the premiums to increase a lot so I was most surprised. They said that as long as DVLA had issued him with the licence, they were quite happy. I hope this helps.

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
As your husband has been given a licence for a year he is obviously still deemed OK to drive. You must notify the insurers as this is a medical condition but I do not think they should increase your premium although they may charge a small admin fee for changing their records.
I worked in insurance and years ago several insurers used to decline cover for diabetics but when the anti disability discrimination laws came in then this nonsense all stops. If they get awkward use the phrase " treating customers fairly" and ask to speak to a supervisor.
With travel insurance, however, a diagnosis will put up the costs as this is material to the risk, but this is quite clearly set out under pre-existing conditions in the terms and conditions. Whatever you do, if you have travel insurance, make sure you disclose any pre-existing conditions and medications taken to the insurer as otherwise any claim will likely be thrown out so you will be wasting your money.
Tre

Trixxie

Oct 3, 2014
Thank you for the comments, I will be ringing them tomorrow to update them. No plans to go abroad but I would have declared it on travel insurance, just haven't got around to doing his car insurance! Consider it done tomoz.

stephbaker

Mar 1, 2015
Yeovil
My Dad has been recently diagnosed and is in his early 80s. His licence was cancelled immediately, with no questions. He's never had an accident and his car is the only way my severely disabled Mum can get to her medical appointments as it's been adapted for her wheelchair.

Dad is so very angry about it and doesn't seem to understand why it's happened.

On top of all that, the insurance company won't accept any of his daughters (including me) as named drivers.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
On top of all that, the insurance company won't accept any of his daughters (including me) as named drivers.

If there is no primary driver then you can't be added as a named driver, if you see what I mean. Named (secondary) drivers can only be added to a policy with a primary driver and as your dad has no licence then it can't be him. Simplest solution would be to re- register the car in one of your names but if it's subject to finance or motability then I don't know how you stand.
All insurers require "total disclosure" but unless you read the whole policy including the small print then you won't find out what this means unless you ask or until you make a claim, in which case you may find out the hard way.
K

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
A minimum of third party insurance is a legal requirement for any vehicle that is not subject to a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notice) even if it is kept on a driveway or in a garage. There is an exception for motor traders.

Trixxie

Oct 3, 2014
Thanks for all our comments I have contacted our car insurance it has increased by £5 a month but at least we are all legal now and I feel happy!