Have we reached care at home stage?

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
I called ageuk who recommended a company called Appetito who do meals on wheels and also check all’s ok and will contact us if anything is not. It seemed like a good halfway house for the immediate future she will get a good hot meal and a regular visitor.
I tried this for my mother in law briefly, but she declined to eat the meals, or would put them aside then forget about them or complain that the delivery person wouldn't stay long enough. That's not to say that your mum would be the same of course. But I found that the only way my mother in law would eat was to have the physical presence of someone with her at mealtimes. A carer would come in and heat up a meal in the microwave and actually sit with her and chat while she ate, so it seemed like a social occasion. This was specifically written up in the care plan.

Debbie Ann C

Apr 1, 2020
I tried this for my mother in law briefly, but she declined to eat the meals, or would put them aside then forget about them or complain that the delivery person wouldn't stay long enough. That's not to say that your mum would be the same of course. But I found that the only way my mother in law would eat was to have the physical presence of someone with her at mealtimes. A carer would come in and heat up a meal in the microwave and actually sit with her and chat while she ate, so it seemed like a social occasion. This was specifically written up in the care plan.
Thanks for replying. Yes if this plan doesn’t work we will have to do this as well. I guess it’s trial and error all the way

Debbie Ann C

Apr 1, 2020
Debbie Ann C - Not sure if it is the same type of set up but I am arranging meals on wheels through the county council. They will provide a hot meal during the day, good choices too along with dessert and can provide sandwiches for the evening. I will also give them the key safe code should she not answer as hard of hearing or worse.
Sounds like the same sort of thing. i have since found that if mum is eligible we set it up through SS and can get it at subsidised cost. £3ish a meal which I thought was very good, we haven’t set it up yet as we need t9 be with her when she receives her first few dinners otherwise she will have no idea whats happening. Keeping fingers and toes crossed it works out.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I called ageuk who recommended a company called Appetito who do meals on wheels and also check all’s ok and will contact us if anything is not. It seemed like a good halfway house for the immediate future she will get a good hot meal and a regular visitor.
My Mum had Appetito in for 12 months before she went into a Care home. Mum would say she couldn’t be bothered to cook for one so I said let’s see what they are like and ordered them in for 3 times a week so she did have to bother on those days. As she liked the meals and I knew she could not cook by then the 3 days increased to 7 days a week rapidly.
Mum said she struggled making her bed so I used this as a reason to get Carers in to do housework. Although initially she protested about them coming in twice a week she enjoyed their company (as she was lonely too and this was part of the brief to have a natter with Mum)
Eventually with a meds change I had Carers in Morning ( tablets had to be locked up and only Nurse/carer can give them to you, Mum); the lunch time Apetito delivery and Carer at tea time (again meds but to also make her a sandwich)

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
My dad's local authority did meals on wheels and they were really very good. You could start them within 48 hours and they were seven days a week. One hot meal and one cold sandwich meal delivered by lunchtime for about £7. They were good portions as well and had a varied menu you could select from and order every two weeks. I did all the choosing for dad and tried to balance out the lighter and stodgier options and send things I thought he would enjoy.

(He knew I was sending them so ate them with no suspicions about them containing meat, but he still complains at the home about them sneaking meat into his food. They do not do this, but unfortunately dad did used to have this sort of thing happen to him when he was a young person - he was vegetarian in the UK at a time when being vegetarian was quite unusual).

Nomorepets

May 26, 2020
First week of meals on wheels completed with very little grumbling, level 6 blended meals with a dessert ie. blackcurrant cheesecake, triple, fruit pots. Sunday dinner was turkey casserole, dice pots, mashed sweetcorn and carrots, a green blob poss broccoli. Not a bit left over, no choking or retching so all is good on that score although mum wants to try something more chewy :) So far so good and the people who deliver are very friendly which cheers her up.