Have anyone else gained weight during their time as a carer?

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
I've gained around 3 stone in the last 3 years. Has anyone else had this issue and of so, has anyone managed to reverse it? Am desperate to shift the weight but keep turning to food for comfort

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
O my, yes. Who has time to go for long walks? Or exercise? Or think more carefully about eating more healthy foods? It takes time to make great meals. I'm so tired when I come home from work, and my mother and OH are happy with what I call platter dinners (meat, potatoes or rice, green veggie), so I just do up whatever is easy. Depending on when I weigh myself (which isn't often), I can weigh as much as 25 or 30 pounds more than I did prior to my mother's arrival in our home. I guess that's 2 to 2 1/2 stone increase, converting pounds to stoneweight. I used to be a size 8 or 10, and now I'm a 14!

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
Gained weight.
Hair like straw and turning grey.
Big dark rings under eyes.
Skin not peaches and cream either. Lack of sleep and shocking stress levels has caused havoc with my previous good looks!
My dad however (mixed dementia 87 years) looks gorgeous! :D

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
So it's not just me then. Looks like I'm destined to be single for life now, I don't hold out much hope for looking half way decent any time soon. Hopefully with the good weather coming I can get out on my bike and cycle a bit...and maybe even stop eating myself into an early grave

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
No, but it's a battle, we used to walk for miles, go swimming, diy and plenty of other things now my wife's mobile is becoming impaired I find my activity levels have gone down too, so it's the boring route of constantly watching what you're eating.
Putting on weight is a bit like getting in debt, very easy to get into and even more difficult to get out of so it's a trap I'm trying not to fall into. Likewise if I allow my wife to get to a weigh where I can no longer help her then I won't be doing her any favours either so I just have to watch we eat.
K

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Stress = eating = weight. I'm big enough anyway but now...um....morbidly obese.
A consultant gently asked if I thought I could lose a little weight. I said, well if you did my job, I could concentrate on losing weight. I see, and your job is...? Full time carer for my husband who has dementia. Oh, I see.
At least he appeared to understand! And he never asked again!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I try. I really really try. But I like my food and I don't like exercise. Going to a healthy eating course at the moment.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Comfort eating. Glass of wine when tense. Am trying to run and go for walks but it's easy to neglect yourself once dementia comes calling.

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
Seems dementia doesn't just destroy the person who has it. I've gained a lot of weight during this and now have lower back pain, sore knees and just feel exhausted....probably from hauling my heavy carcass around. I hope I get my head sorted as I can't stop eating

flossielime

May 8, 2014
Exactly the same. I look dreadful, bad skin, hair falling out and 2 stone heavier than in July.

I wouldn't mind BUT I dont even eat meals most of the time. My stomach is knots most of the time. I do always manage breakfast and a sandwich for lunch but as the day goes on and the problems arise I get more worried and worked up and by evening I need a couple of drinks, then will have some toast or something light. So how I am gaining so much weight is beyond me as I used to eat a lot more.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
At the start of Mums Alzheimers in Jan 2012 but before diagnosis, I lost 27kgs in just over a year. Just over 4 stone.
In the past year as Mum has gotten worse and I am not out walking like I used to, and I have less spare time I have put back on half of what I lost.
My motivation is zilch, and it all adds to my general mood :(

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
I'd lost weight before Alzheimer's bulldozed it's way into my life, I felt healthy, more confident, happy and energetic, now I just feel fat, ugly and fed up. I'm hoping I get my
Motivation back at some point

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I was always really slim, but caring takes its toll and I have the odd glass of wine ;) and comfort eat in the evenings (I just love cheese!). Result - Im not slim any more :(

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
I'd lost weight before Alzheimer's bulldozed it's way into my life, I felt healthy, more confident, happy and energetic, now I just feel fat, ugly and fed up. I'm hoping I get my
Motivation back at some point

Your situation sounds like mine. I was very healthy, especially considering that I am under a chronic cancer watch. So here I am 25 pounds heavier, out of shape, and headed for surgery to ward off another cancer strike. It feels like an endless circle sometimes. My mother, on the other hand, is happy, relatively healthy, and heading for her 97th birthday. It's a real pleasure to see her having such a good life, but her good life has indeed taken its toll on mine. I don't feel resentful, though I guess it might sound that way. I'm mostly amazed at the way things have turned out, sometimes.

velocity

Feb 18, 2013
North Notts
Me too. I thought it was only me! comfort eating, odd glass of wine. less active, feeling fed up. brain addled. Looking/feeling bedraggled. Winter doesn't seem to help. :(

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I'm another one who has gained a lot of weight over the last few years. It's been a gradual thing, the result of stress and comfort eating, as well as lack of exercise, due to my arthritic knees and lack of time.

That said, when I saw pictures of myself taken at Christmas 2013, I knew I had to do something about it :eek:. It's very hard, but I've lost over a stone since then and am keeping at it. I find the Slimming Club on here is very helpful :cool:

I know I have to look after myself at least a bit or I will be unable to look after anyone else. My biggest problem at the moment is lack of sleep. I am constantly trying and failing to sleep better......this is a real issue for me as well as others.

I guess we can only do our best and keep on going on :D xxx

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
I am a weight gainer too ! I put on 3 stones since my OH got diagnosed! It's the lack of exercise as hubs is not that mobile anymore! I love walking and used to everywhere but now I have very little me time so can't do it anymore ! Feel and look much older too as the constant sleep deprivation is taken its toll too!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I've always had a weight problem but since leaving work and becoming almost housebound as a carer I have gained at least three stones.

Our slimming club is not the most successful although we do have one or two stars. Everyone is welcome to join and it may help just to have the support of fellow TPers.

Weigh in day is Sunday if possible and there is no need to declare your weight, just declare your loss, gain or maintain

Roses40

Jan 25, 2015
manchester
"I know I have to look after myself at least a bit or I will be unable to look after anyone else. My biggest problem at the moment is lack of sleep. I am constantly trying and failing to sleep better......this is a real issue for me as well as others."

One and a half stone for me in the last year and a half. I'm fairly sure it's mostly down to coffee mate and alcohol. The sleep deprivation really is a breaker isn't it.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
"I know I have to look after myself at least a bit or I will be unable to look after anyone else. My biggest problem at the moment is lack of sleep. I am constantly trying and failing to sleep better......this is a real issue for me as well as others."

One and a half stone for me in the last year and a half. I'm fairly sure it's mostly down to coffee mate and alcohol. The sleep deprivation really is a breaker isn't it.

It is Roses 40 !!! As I am permanently tired I lack the energy to do things! Constantly pushing myself to go out and keep busy but it's so hard x