Have anyone else gained weight during their time as a carer?

Mossyanne1

Feb 10, 2015
Hi all, feeling dreadful this morning, I have M.E. And have my hubby to look after as well. Trouble is if I do too much In one day I suffer the next. Hubby goes in for day care four times a week in which time I try to rest but housework is being neglected. My daughter wants me to have help in the house but I am not good at giving in. Why is it we feel we need to do it all as well as deal with the Alzheimer's disease. Washing up to be done, beds to make etc.etc. and I'm here drinking tea and eating chocolate. Oh well another couple of pounds. Hey Ho!!! Not funny really, just want to cry!!!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Oh Granny G, don't mention pudding!

Me too, everything seems to slow down when living with Dementia...it takes an hour or more to get my husband motivated to shower and dress in the mornings, by which time I've eaten three breakfasts just out of frustration!

Have just bought a juicer, made juice from pears and apples and some blueberries, but I think they weren't very juicy and the result didn't taste very nice. Back to the drawing board, and must hide the chocolate that my husband NEVER forgets to buy when he goes for the newspaper.

Comfort eating...how not to do it?

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Hi all, feeling dreadful this morning, I have M.E. And have my hubby to look after as well. Trouble is if I do too much In one day I suffer the next. Hubby goes in for day care four times a week in which time I try to rest but housework is being neglected. My daughter wants me to have help in the house but I am not good at giving in. Why is it we feel we need to do it all as well as deal with the Alzheimer's disease. Washing up to be done, beds to make etc.etc. and I'm here drinking tea and eating chocolate. Oh well another couple of pounds. Hey Ho!!! Not funny really, just want to cry!!!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

If you can afford a cleaner, get one. What is the point of struggling on & making yourself worse if you don't have to?

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
If you can afford a cleaner, get one. What is the point of struggling on & making yourself worse if you don't have to?

I agree with this 100%. Of all the tasks that need doing, I try to identify which ones actually need me to do them, eg placing mum's shopping order (I know what she likes), some of mum's care, talking to district nurse etc. Other things, like standard housework, I am only too happy to delegate.

If you can get a cleaner, Mossyanne, please don't feel guilty. Pay her a decent wage and save your energy for other things :)

Lindy xx

sleepingplum

Mar 1, 2015
I too have gained weight have severe arthritis in my knees and recently had one knee replaced. I had lost 2 and a half stone even with the problems but sinc we have sold up to move in with my 87 year old father in law with (mixed dementia) I have put half of it back on I am determind to lose it so watch this space it will be the reversal of comfort eating will be the hardest