Have a chuckle!!!

Shakey1961a

Nov 7, 2004
Southport
From a website called "I used to believe" www.iusedtobelieve.com

All about what you and other kids used to think when we were kids....

"I used to believe that all old people got te diease "OLD TIMERS DISEASE" instead of Alzheimers disease."

If only!!!

emscub

Dec 5, 2003
Bath
Just wanted to add that I was on a mental health awareness training course with work the other day, and that one of the female attendees (who was a supervisor working with people with dementia) proceeded to say altimers for the whole day when referring to Alzheimers.

I was also generally very surprised at the little people knew about dementia, even though they'd been working with people suffering with it for years. At least they were on the course though I suppose!

Rosalind

Jul 2, 2005
Wiltshire
Couldn't get on to the site, but I certainly used to believe these myths

If you swallow chewing gum it winds itself round your heart and you DIE

If you put blotting paper in your shoes you will faint (frequently tried at school as a evasive technique when tests were coming up. Never worked!)

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Emscub

I was at the Alzheimer's Society Annual Conference the other day and one of the [quite true] comments made was that the AS has made Alzheimer's much more widely known about throughout the populace.

Yes, the name is known, and the fact of memory loss is known, but not the other things that happen to those who have this - and other forms of - dementia.

The comment above was made in the context of "why doesn't Alzheimer's get the same level of public support as other major causes of ill health, for instance cancer?"

My view is that, until people generally realise that dementia isn't just a forgetful old age, they will never consider it seriously... until it hits one of their family. I have to admit that this was how I was, too, until Jan showed symptoms.

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
I totally agree with Bruce: the memory loss is almost the easiest part of AD - it's all the other things that make this illness so complicated and hard to live with (for both patient and carers!). However, I have a real problem telling people (other than family and a few very close friends) of the things are are difficult and upsetting - it feels as though I am letting my husband down, telling on him, taking away what little dignity he has left. I don't think I would want to be 'exposed' in this way, if I was in his place ...... I know this sounds silly and counter-productive, but I just can't quite get over that hang-up!
I don't even like people to see him unshaven (one of the many things he can't do any longer), as he doesn't look his best - but it is the way he is now.
Any advice?????

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa