Has your MP signed EDM 2766?

Sarah Thomas

Oct 9, 2006
London
MPs have tabled an Early Day Parliamentary Motion (EDM) in the House of Commons.

This important parliamentary motion urges Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt to act to ensure that doctors can continue to use their clinical judgement to prescribe effective Alzheimer's drug treatments to those who can benefit.

It is vital that as many MPs as possible express their support for this EDM.

Click here to see if your MP has signed EDM 2766.

If your MPs name is not there write to them and ask them to add their signature.

Click here to email your MP from the Alzheimer’s Society website.

Last edited:

Sarah Thomas

Oct 9, 2006
London
thank you

big thank you to you all for writing to your MP- i'd really appreciate it if you could keep me up to date with the kinds of responses you recieve:)

Jodie Lucas

Dec 3, 2005
Eastbourne
writing to mp

Hello everyone,

Have had a very non-commital letter from mp who states that they "support the independence of NICE" but believes that "the most pressing question is whether or not it is right for NICE only to consider the consequences of its decisions on the health and social care budget", and that this should be explored.

But they didn't say whether they will be signing it or not?:confused:

Why can't MPs' give a straight answer?

Jodie

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
MP and NICE

Hi again,

I get the distinct feeling that our MP is refusing to sign. We asked the same question in London on the National day of action, and all he did was shrug his shoulders. He seems to agree wth the NICE decision, but will not answer any questions about it. So much for accountability.

Regards

kenc

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Sarah Thomas said:
big thank you to you all for writing to your MP- i'd really appreciate it if you could keep me up to date with the kinds of responses you recieve:)

Hi Sarah just to let you know I had a reply from my M.P today and he said that he thought the desion was one that would be deeply damaging to many patients unless the goverment change their minds.He assures me that it has been met with equal dismay indeed disbelief by many MP`s across all parties and that they will redouble thier efforts. He was under the impression that he had sighed the EDM and would check with the Table Office and if he had overlooked it he would add his name.
All the best ROSEANN

drummer-john

Apr 29, 2005
Leeds
I have emailed Greg Mulholland today. I thought he was supportive of the cause, so I'm disappointed to see that he has not already signed.
John

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
I emailed last week, but John Bercow's name is still not on the list. We've had several lengthy but wishy-washy replies from him in the last few months, and I will report back if I get a response this time .....

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Had a reply this morning from my MP Mark Tami and I quote

" Having been invoved in the support of the appeal and disappointed at the rejection I would like to inform you that I have signed the Early Day Motion to show support for people with dementia and their carers"

Perhaps the list could be updated?

Linda

Last edited:

hairwench

Oct 1, 2006
wisbech
I have just received an email from my local MP telling me he will reply fully to me by letter, so I will wait to see what he has to say !
He hasn't added his signature to the list yet though.......................

twink

Oct 28, 2005
Cambridgeshire UK
Mine (Malcolm Moss) has signed it but his name doesn't appear on the list. He feels strongly about this issue and will keep me informed on what comes of it. He will be writing to the secretary of state.

Sue

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire

Herewith MP's reply, as promised:
Thank you very much for your letter about NICE's final decision on Alzheimer's drugs. I realise that this decision must come as a massive disappointment.

It is important to note from the outset that this decision will affect new patients only. Those already receiving the drugs will be able to continue to do so unless and until their carer or doctor deems it inappropriate.

I must also make it clear from the outset that I support the independence of NICE. It is to my mind, quite correct that decisions on how to use the health service budget are made by health professionals. Government and politicians should set NHS funding but it is then the people on the ground who are best placed to manage the NHS and take the appropriate decisions.

That said, the trial of these particular drugs has yet again brought to the fore some very serious questions that need to be asked about the NICE appraisal process. The most pressing question is whether or not it is right for NICE to consider the consequences of its decisions on the health and social care budget. There is an argument for NICE also considering more broadly the issues of cost effectiveness, such as the impact on carers and families. This now needs to be explored.

Thank you, once again, for writing.
Yours sincerely, John Bercow

This sounds like a typical 'Politician's answer', and I am none the wiser as to whether Mr. Bercow is planning to sign the EDM in question or not. In fact, I get the impression that he is trying to get rid of me with his placatory second paragraph - but as the 'massive disappointment' has actually left me hopping mad, I am not about to give up. We've had the benefit of the drugs, but I'd like to know that others who are yet to set off on this uphill path will be afforded the same support.

Last edited:

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
No reply...yet

This sounds like a typical 'Politician's answer'

Sure does Nutty Nan.:( I haven't had a reply yet and can almost hear my MP saying, as my latest email hits his desk, 'Not another one from her!' :D If there's one positive thing that having dementia in the family has taught me, it's how to be 'pushy'........:D :p