Has there been a change of behaviour? Amazing if so!!

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Hi!

My husband is on antibiotics at the moment due to a chest infection. He is getting better but does have Alzheimer's. His behaviour the last few years has been very challenging and worrying as so over friendly to the public and inappropriate. However, I am wondering if there has been a change as he is at the moment so quiet and the last couple of walks we have had he hasn't spoken to anyone! This feels like a miracle to me! Whilst the behaviour troubled me I feel like saying 'are you sure you don't want to speak to those people'. Its seems like an amazing change and I am not used to his quietness and he seems so 'normal' other than a poor memory.

He has been going to some day centres that he started not so long ago and I am thinking may be these have helped in someway as there he can chat and be himself etc. However, he has been sleeping more and I have put that down to him being unwell with his chest. During his sleep he has been making murmuring noises as though he is dreaming and yet not so long ago he told me he doesn't dream. Could this be some sort of change with his brain. I was expecting everything to just get worse and worse!

May be this is just a calm spell and he will get back to his very chatty, humorous self and be over friendly again. Be good if he has changed for the better but I have eliminated doing so many things and wasn't even going to have a holiday with him as too much for me to cope with but if he continues to be more quiet and calm then may be! However, I am not sure if I have the confidence left to even try just in case!

Reds

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It's hard to know, isn't it? My husband used to be over friendly and speak to everyone. That phase has been gone for some time now. He still looks at people and smiles but doesn't go out of his way to approach people. I'm happy that phase has gone. True it has gone as part of his general decline but he is still a happy person (most of the time!). He also sleeps a lot now.

RobinH

Apr 9, 2012
London
Hi

I agree this may be part of the progression of the disease. My mother used to interupt strangers' conversations, but hasn't done so for a year or two.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
OH has become so much quieter in the last year or so. He used to tell the same stories over and over, now he barely talks. I do think words get jumbled up in his brain so he takes the easy option and just leaves them be.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I think that's how Bill is Beate. Sometimes he wants to tell me something and the words come out in a jumble. It's so sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Thanks for replies.

Yes I am wondering if he is lost for words. He mainly only speaks if I do first.

Not used to such quietness, ha! Never a happy medium! Just hope not a change for the worst.

Reds