has something happened?

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by chip, May 11, 2007.

1. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Hi Twink, it doesn`t sound too good about Steve, you must be very worried.

I hope it`s helped you to post on TP, at least we all understand what you`re having to put up with, even if we haven`t been through your particular problems ourselves.

Love xx

2. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    Something I wanted to mention. When professionals mention "heart failure" to us lay people we can go into a flat spin, because it sounds so final somehow. However, heart failure is actually one of those things that can be managed to a certain extent. It's true that it is both a serious and progressive condition, but it is possible to live for many years with heart failure: my mother (89) has had heart failure for the last 10 years and apart from treating her high blood pressure, has had no treatment for it.

Jennifer

3. twink

twink Registered User

Oct 28, 2005
    Cambridgeshire UK
    Thanks Sylvia and also Jennifer.

I told Steve's brother he has heart failure and he said should he come up asap. He went into a spin. I said no, no need to panic. I don't know anything about it but my Dad had it, he was 83 and died from a lung disease but he did have heart failure for quite some time. I didn't think it was something that might mean the end was close but the manager of the home said his decline has been rapid so I'd like to speak to the GP about it and ask some questions.

I read the posts on TP several times a day as I'm not working at the mment and have found some very valuable information on here.

Sue

4. mocha

mocha Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    Lancs, England
    Swollen Ankles

Oh Dear......I do hope there are other reasons for swollen ankles besides heart failure as my ankles are quite podgy by early evening. I just thought I was retaining fluid....... You've got me a bit worried now.I do take 2 tablets for high blood-pressure.
    Never mind.......just something else to fuel my hypachondria..:eek:

5. twink

twink Registered User

Oct 28, 2005
    Cambridgeshire UK
    Oh dear! Anyone with swollen ankles will now be in a panic because of me!!!! I'm sure it will be just water retention, are you on your feel a lot during the day? The doctors will be very busy on Monday morning with lots of people with swollen ankles lol. What have I started!!!

6. Lila13

Lila13 Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    My father lived for many years with "heart failure", I am sure he'd have died much sooner if he hadn't had my mother looking after him and protecting him from bad news etc.

Lila