Has my mum made a miraculous recovery or are the new drugs masking the symptoms?

Anotherdamnlol

May 2, 2015
My mum was diagnosed with mixed vascular and alzheimers in early May. She has been put on Trazodone and Memantine and is now doing fantastically well. Her memory is still really bad but she can do the crossword every day, concentrate on watching TV/film, is no longer confused, and is actually happy, cheerful and full of fun.

I have heard that Memantine can improve things for a few months before patient declines rapidly. Anyone got any experience of this?

carol4444

Feb 5, 2014
Hi, I have often thought that the diagnosis for mum was a mistake and she must have suffered a mini stroke as she seems so normal. Unfortunately, mum can then just wake up one day and everything is completely out of kilter again. On Friday I assumed that she was almost back to normal, then this morning she is hiding behind the door and wouldn't come out. It is such a strange illness/disease. I very much hope that your mum enjoys a long spell of being well.

Anotherdamnlol

May 2, 2015
Thanks for responding Carol. Problem is care home staff and community occupational therapist think she'd be better off leaving care home going home with a carer. Confusing.