Has memantine worked for you?

Doodles87

Sep 4, 2018
My dad has become very suddenly very aggressive. We've explored various reasoning for his behaviour but expect it's unfortunately an effect of progression. He was prescribed memantine about a month ago with an increase in his dosage and we've seen no difference at all. Has this happened to anyone else? He just seems very vacant at times x

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Mum started taking it mid August. She is calmer and I find it has taken a lot of terror away. At first I was dubious, now I feel very positive about the drug.
It does seem to take time but it has stopped the delusions and screaming etc in their tracks. For now at least. I do realize that it won't be for ever.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Hi @Doodles87 , I’m sorry to hear about your dad . My mum started on memantine 2 years ago and quickly went up to max dose , we didn’t feel there was any benefit so dr took her off it ....... massive mistake , she dropped off the proverbial and no amount of work had got her back to where she was. She does stare in to space a lot and seems quite dopey but happy . She did have aggression last year but wether we have just passed that phase or it was some other reason I don’t know .

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
My wife was put on Memantine as soon as she was diagnosed and about 6mths later was taken off it due to a possible side effect. Like @Woohoo I then saw a rapid deterioration. Luckily the new issue wasn't a side effect so my wife was put back on the med and resumed her slower decline rate.

The med won't work in the same way for everyone so the GP and/or Memory Clinic should be consulted.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH went on memantine a month after he was diagnosed because the donepizil he was originally prescribed gave him headaches. His thinking became clearer in about 5 days but of course he has declined since, however, there is no knowing what he would be like without it. He was never aggressive so I have no idea how that side of the medication works, I thought it was to slow the progression of the disease.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
My dad has become very suddenly very aggressive. We've explored various reasoning for his behaviour but expect it's unfortunately an effect of progression. He was prescribed memantine about a month ago with an increase in his dosage and we've seen no difference at all. Has this happened to anyone else? He just seems very vacant at times x

Dear Doodles ,

I can just imagine how you must be feeling as I felt the same when my gentle dad started becoming aggressive. The first time he had memantine he started to relax and the home carefully monitored him with a low dose and sometimes he didn't need it. I don't whether they ever put it up but I was pleased to hear about him getting a good night's sleep and not trying to attack the carers or other residents. The manageress also told me that half of the residents were on it.

MaNaAk