Has anyone use this type of knickers

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Has anyone use this type of knickers

Mum sticky back bit on pads that stick to knickers are for ever coming off falling down, so her knicker all end up wet and the rest of her clothes

mum won't put those tena all in one knicker , don't know what she does or how , but when she get home from day-center she left with the knicker part with no padding left in it . .

so was looking at this type integral absorbent pad, but thought I would ask you all frist , not worry about the money , as I could gt 7 of them , keep washing them as I am having , buying knicker any way like they no tomorrow , to put pads in

Martex All-in-one briefs - unisex
Suitable for moderate incontinence

High-waisted brief with integral absorbent pad

500ml absorbency

http://www.hartmanndirect.co.uk/index.php/cPath/2_25

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
Margarita hi,
For what it's worth the excellent care home here in France uses a product which I think is

NEW MoliCare Mobile Super

for Monique and I suspect the majority of their 'residents'.. Monique says they are very comfortable and I certainly found them easy to change on my last visit when there was an 'accident'... In a funny way they are not unattractive - the 'fluffy' design of them stops them looking too 'sanitary - clinical'
They are not cheap though

regards

Michael

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Thanks for that Michael , Oh anything for a easy life for me :rolleyes: and mum not getting upset not like wearing all other type , because yes just like you say they don't look 'sanitary - clinical' .

that just it with mum she incontinent and aware of it , so it would be nice to get her a nice design of good quality incontinent knickers pads , all she wants really at the end of the is a bit of dignity back while it last .

so then to have those type in care home Monique in , sound like a very good home :)

Last edited:

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Knickers

Hello Margarita
I have tried all sorts of pads, knickers, padded knickers, disposable and washable, for Margaret.
The best solution I have found sounds like the ones Micheal is talking about 'Molicare'. I use Molicare plus pads and hold them in place with Molipants, these are elasticated net knickers which fit closely and hold the pads firmly in place. The knickers are washable and come in packs of five at about £3.50/pack.
The pads should be available free (up to four/day) through your local incontinence service.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Frank

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hi Margarita:
I buy from the contact you mentioned. David has Martex mens y-front which have an integrated pad and I just wash and wash them. He also puts in a pad at night for extra protection (the pads are provided by the NHS via district nurse).

I am sure the ones Michael and Barraf mention would be ideal for a woman - but the pull on net knickers are not really very suitable for men.

Have you got the catalogue cos there is quite a large range there and I always feel that women are better catered for than men. If you do order dont forget to claim VAT free (that is because of your Mother's diagnosis). If you have not got there 0800 telephone number let me know and I will PM the details.

Hope that helps Beckyjan

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Just look then up barraf, only thing it says that you can only wash them up to 30 times at 60ºC,

could get both just to try them both out , thanks it is help full .

thanks about mentioning about the catalogue and the vat , yes just seen the 0800 Beckyjan

I just wash and wash them.

now that good to hear

Last edited:

Gill W

Jan 31, 2007
Co. Durham
Margarita,

Mum has recently tried some 'kylie' knickers, which have an absorbant pad in them, but personally I don't rate them. They don't hold an awful lot of fluid, and have to be changed quite a lot. 7 pairs just wouldn't be enough methinks.

We reverted to the old pads Gran was using, they are rather like a nappy in shape, but don't fasten at the sides? They're very absorbant, and quite comfortable. A pair of 'passion killer' knickers holds them in place quite nicely for Gran.

We were given the pads from the incontinence nurse at Gran's old surgery, but now that she's in the home it'll be interesting to see what they supply her with.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful honey.

Gill
xx

mocha

Feb 17, 2006
Lancs, England
Men as well

Hi Margarita,
I had about 15 prs of the integrated pads in Men's underpants.
They were fine while the incontinence was light but pretty gruesome when he became double incontinent.
He then went onto the Tena pants which were much better as you can tear the sides to remove them.
He still gets them in the N.H but they only allow two per day so he soon runs out and has to have the pads with the net knickers.
The cloth ones do seem more comfortable but get quite wet.
Good luck in your search. There are different manufacturers which vary a bit in price.

Aileen

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
hello,
just having my two pennoths worth on this one.the knickers with inbuilt pads are basically ****.I am the incontinence link nuirse where i work.if anyone out there is having trouble with continence services please let me know.I may need to speak to you for details .This is an indignancy we don't want our loved ones to have to endure.

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Margarita said:
that just it with mum she incontinent and aware of it , so it would be nice to get her a nice design of good quality incontinent knickers pads , all she wants really at the end of the is a bit of dignity back while it last .
QUOTE]
Margarita said:
Dear Maggie,
I know exactly what you mean. Your Mum and mine sound a lot alike, altho' sadly I think your Mum is a bit further down the track of her illness than mine.

But they are both AWARE of their illness and the distress it causes is so heartbreaking for us.

Before Mum had AD I thought (like a lot of people) that if someone had dementia they didn't know they had it.

Now I know this isn't the case - and it is one of the worst parts of the illness, in my opinion. My Mum bangs her head with her hand and says "I'm stupid, I'm STUPID!!" and I could just weep with how much pain she is feeling.

I do hope you can find a pad or pants that help with your Mum's incontinence. I think this will be the next step with Mum - she is starting to have "accidents".

Thinking of you.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
thank you all for your advice .

My Mum bangs her head with her hand and says "I'm stupid, I'm STUPID!!"
just like my mother , she use to say it so much I'm stupid

I know just what you mean , as I thought that when mum was told she had AZ , because that what I was told that she won't know what going on , she won't know me , or her surrounding so thought that when she became incontinent it be at the time she has no awareness of who I am or her sounding , so all I could think is making me scared that she would not know me , she won't know me it ate up most of my energy for a good few years of my life , forgetting the hear now , not letting in good times , because I was so full of sadness of what was to come and then living in it and seeing that mum still has awareness is bad .

my mother started with accidents, went on for a whole year , nurses left me with Molimed classic Mini , they thicker but look like small panty liners , well I thought that would get use use to them , she did not mind them as they small just that when they had to get bigger , because she was leaking more she did not like them , but now she getting use to them not taking them off weeing floor because she hold it in to long , because she forgets she wants to go , has miss toilet seat few time blame dog , so now I just don't say anything and just wipe it up, as the saying go ask no question your get no lie out of mum.

just don't know how I am going to cope with wiping her bum when she can't do it herself , lucky she still doing that herself , does it on her own , just has few accident missing toilet , when she sits down , so had to wipe her then.

sometime I think that its so unbelievable that it really happening

Last edited:

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Margarita sometime I think that its so unbelievable that it really happening[/QUOTE said:
Maggie, I just am so much in awe of you coping at home. You and Sylvia and Hazel and all the others who cope at home have my utmost admiration. I find it hard, and my Mum is in a care home. I don't have to do any of the daily personal care jobs (Mum is still coping pretty well with those) or with things like laundry, etc.

I still find it difficult - partly because Mum is very demanding (in a sweet way! :) ) and mainly I think because I HATE seeing her suffer so much.

Like your dear Mum and Sylvia's Dhiren, she KNOWS what is going on (at least some of the time) but she doesn't understand it and she just thinks she's "stupid" or "crazy" or a "nutter" - whatever word is currently on her mind. For someone who prided themselves on their intelligence, this is an awful blow.

Mum seems to be declining at present - I said recently she'd been stable for months but the last few weeks have seen some changes in her mental abilities. She is now getting muddled with past memories - whereas she used to be quite clear about things that happened a long time ago.

Another inexorable step towards the end I suppose. . . . . :(

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Nell

you sound very low..........

mum also went through a phase of saying she was "stupid" or an "idiot"....it's awful to hear.

Lots of love and hugs xxxxx

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Thanks Wendy. I know Mum will continue to decline (in my head!), but I have trouble accepting it with my heart. Thank goodness for all the wonderful TPers, like you. Couldn't cope without you, Thanks.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Nell: when my husband says he is 'thick' or whatever - I just tell him 'no you are no stupid, never have been - its just your brain playing tricks' - he seems to accept that!

The decline we all see is heartbreaking. Take care Beckyjan

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Nell said:

Mum seems to be declining at present - I said recently she'd been stable for months but the last few weeks have seen some changes in her mental abilities. She is now getting muddled with past memories - whereas she used to be quite clear about things that happened a long time ago.

Another inexorable step towards the end I suppose. . . . . :(

Nell, John is also declining fast at the moment, and it's breaking my heart. Things he could do yesterday, but not today, it's unbelievable.

Every day for ages, he's had for lunch two round rolls, spread with cream cheese, and filled with ham. Until this week he's made them himself, and I've let him, because it was about the only thing he could do. On Wednesday he was spreading the cream cheese on the worktop instead of the bread. On Thursday he was spreading the cream cheese on the (thin) ham! So that's something else I've taken over.

Not a huge matter, but tragic because it's just another bit gone.

It's all so sad.

Love and hugs,

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london

When that was happening to my mother past memories , it was so sad , does make you feel down like mel said .

I use to correct mum , she end up calling me stupid we use to end up in a argument , finding TP made me understand more . I did have a stage that because I am so inquisitive , so wanted to know how far back her memories have roll to , I would bring up my father , she talk about when she first meet him , but never talk about him from my age of when I was 10 and up , always ending with how much you father love you . so I would just leave it

Now its like a block, don't want to upset her and yes am scared to know in case she has forgotten more . well she has , has ant she , or its all to pain full for her to remember . could do my head in just wondering :rolleyes: . So

I don't ask anymore we don't talk any more about the past , unless she had a dream about my father and tell me about it , I show her photo , and all she wants to keep in her bag is a photo of her age around 65 with my 3 daughter.

it feel like her past is gone , and she making new life with my daughter's and I , day-center . that mum life at the moment entwined to us

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Skye said:
Not a huge matter, but tragic because it's just another bit gone.

It is a huge matter Hazel, because if John can do so little, every skill he has is very important.

I`m so sorry. It is heartbreaking and, I imagine, frightening when skills are lost on a daily basis.

Take care

Love xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
It is a huge matter Hazel, because if John can do so little, every skill he has is very important.

Your right they Sylvia , my mother skills are all gone now , all she left with is talking when prompt, or pop up with a few words when she wants but I know john taking is not good .

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Margarita said:
but I know john taking is not good .

I'm afraid John's talking is practically non-existent now, and what's even harder, so is his comprehension.

As he's always wanting to go to bed, I've started sometimes putting him to bed for an afternoon nap (although I then have the problem of persuading him to get up again!)

After lunch today I toiletted him, and asked if he wanted to go to bed. He said no, and went and sat down. The next minute he was up again and wandering about. I asked if he wanted anything, and he pointed upstairs!

It just gets harder and harder.

I'm leaving him with his eldest son for a couple of days while I go to a meeting. It's the first time ever, and I dread to think how they'll get on.