Has anyone tried Doll Therapy?

erinsamson05

Jan 5, 2016
Hello,

I am researching Doll Therapy and dementia as part of my dissertation at university. I am looking for family members who have tried it with a loved one to tell me about their experience. I have seen a lot of lovely posts on Talking Point about success stories using Doll Therapy so I thought this might be a good place to find people who are willing to share their experiences, which could hopefully help others.

If you have tried Doll Therapy using either an actual doll or just a cuddly toy and you would be willing to give up half an hour of your time for a Skype interview or something similar, please get in touch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Erin :)

sophiecromer22

Jun 9, 2016
Doll therapy research

Hi Erin, I too am conducting research into doll therapy for my MSc Occupational Therapy.
It would be great to talk to you further.
Do you want to talk via email?
Sophie

erinsamson05

Jan 5, 2016
Hi Erin, I too am conducting research into doll therapy for my MSc Occupational Therapy.
It would be great to talk to you further.
Do you want to talk via email?
Sophie

Hi Sophie

My dissertation is now handed in but if there is anything I can help you with: *email address removed please pm instead*. Best of luck!

Erin

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Based on nothing other than 5 months, 2 hour visits a day to a secure assessment unit I'd say the dolls achieved nothing, then patient E came into the ward.
When that happened, all hell broke lose, a Down's Syndrome lady who did have a doll had it taken away as Patient E perceived all doll as being her property and it di get nasty, I had to do a blocking tactic to stop patient E from getting to her and still have the bruises to prove it.
No doubt they can work in a more residential environment but when possessions becomes an issue then they can be your worst nightmare.
K

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Mum's DT works well. Mum needs to nurture, she didn't ever want to be the person looked after. She spends most of her time now talking to and cuddling her doll and the ape, teddy or whatever she has with her ... sometimes Dad and family members get a small share of Mum's attention :):(.