Has anyone read Contented Dementia or the Selfish Pig's Guide to Caring?

SandyRose

Mar 9, 2020
Contented Dementia by Oliver James, a best seller on Amazon. Found some good tips but still heavy going. Just nicely started on Selfish Pig which already seems easier - as much as reading any book on dementia can be.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Contented Dementia by Oliver James, a best seller on Amazon. Found some good tips but still heavy going. Just nicely started on Selfish Pig which already seems easier - as much as reading any book on dementia can be.
Yes. I thoroughly enjoyed the selfish pig.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
The Selfish Pig’s Guide to Caring was the most helpful book of all for me and I can’t recommend it highly enough. It’s for the carer to help care for themselves, not how to look after the person with the disease. No carer and the person with the disease is in trouble so taking care of yourself is vital as long as you have the capacity to do it. Good luck!

None the Wiser

Feb 3, 2020
The Selfish Pigs guide to Caring really helped me to be more realistic about expectations of myself as a carer, and accepting of my very mixed and often negative emotions about the situation I find myself in. It really is worth a read.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
I've borrowed 'Selfish Pig' from mum's Memory café info table.
Halfway through now and it's helping me come to terms with our situation.
Particularly, the paragraph about days spent in despair really resonated and it's good to know it's normal/ natural to have the feelings I have, and can still be a loving daughter.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti