Has anyone had a possible diagnose of dementia caused by hydrocephalis {water on the brain}

StockwellJ

Oct 8, 2021
My husband seems to be in the middle stage of vascular dementia. He does not knowwhat day it is and cannot do anything for himself now. He is almost incontinent now whixh is the worst thing to come to terms with. Doctor phoned the other day and said they had been looking at his scan and thought he might have water on the brain that caused the demntia but because of covid have not heard from the nurosurgeon who can drain the fluid and so stop the deteriation. He needs a knee replacement operation and is in constant pain but because of the dementia they probably will not do the operation. Evidently if you have a serious operation and have dementia it can send you into a dementia coma, so we are left with no hope at the moment. Was hoping the last few years of his life could be pain free but does not seem as this will happen. I am fighting the hopelessness of it all.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My father had hydrocephalus but he died in 1971 and it`s only with hindsight I now know the pressure from the fluid caused dementia.

In those days less was known about dementia and it was never mentioned it could be a possibility. My father`s illness was referred to as fluid on the brain at all times and was caused by a fall and him banging his head.

He did have surgery to insert a stent to drain the fluid. I hope your husband will be able to see a neurosurgeon as soon as possible.