Has anyone experienced Donepezil actually make things worse?

Discussion in 'Recently diagnosed and early stages of dementia' started by pittheath, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Vitesse

Vitesse Registered User

Oct 26, 2016
    My husband was given Aricept when he was first diagnosed in 2016, but he developed severe leg cramps and I spoke to the Memory Clinic about it, and they changed him onto Rivastigmine. In 2018, the mental health doctor put him on Memantine and he still takes them. Of course, we have no idea whether they are doing any good, as the disease progresses and every day can be different. We have gone through several stages of agitation, he believes his wife left one night and now he says she’s dead! (We’ve been together nearly 40 years). I seem to have slotted in to her place. I still can’t get used to the idea of not discussing things with him as we have always done, so I end up telling him things but either getting a blank stare back or a refusal to cooperate!!

2. Help!

Help! Registered User

Sep 23, 2019
    Female
    Memantine is the drug my dad will be started on starting with one week of 5mg up to 20mg in the ist month. I pray he has no horible side effects like with the other and it's just awful not knowing if you are doing the right thing ,but if he experiences anything the same I will stop straight away. If he's calmer without them then there is no point .

3. Quite contrary

Quite contrary Registered User

Jan 5, 2020
    Female
    Ilford, Essex
    My husband was put on Memantine when diagnosed 18 months ago and does not appear to have had any bad side effects and in fact seems calmer. Hope very much that it suits your LO.

4. Help!

Help! Registered User

Sep 23, 2019
    Female
    thankyou that's good to hear and really hope it does the same for my dad.