I am struggling to do what's best for my mum

Gazp

Aug 7, 2022
HI. I am struggling to do what's best for my mum because of interference from a sister. My mum has alzheimers and is always confused, she cant pay her Bill's or do her own food. I've been doing it 4 years. My mum gave me poa last year. Since then she has gone down hill. Even more so the last two months. She got given pills and they sent her into a jibbering wreck. My sister has realised and is now demanding Poa and was getting my mum to give her credit cards. I put a stop to the cards as I've always dealt with mums banking. Anyway. Mum is loving my sisters attention rightfully so. But in 4 years my sister has ignored me and my mum 4 times. From 3 months to the last which was 6 months. Also at a time my mum got diagnosed with an arrhythmia. Mum cant remember a thing unless she is drunk. And so. My sister takes her out and gets her drunk. Then puts ideas in mums head like kicking me out. I live in care for mum. Which mum does. But then next day she remembers none of it. My point is I want a capacity test to protect mum. To get my Poa in order and carry on as I have for 4 years. Since dad died. I'm fearful my sister has other plans as she is just turning up as if she has run things. Taking bank cards was the last straw. So. I cant get a gp to do a test as its 3 weeks just to talk on the phone. And I need to get mum assesed as soon as possible. Is this wrong of me though I'm unsure. To rush and to get an outsider to decide. I promised her she wouldnt go to a nursing home so I just want to ensure her income keeps her where she is.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Gazp.

I’m so sorry to read about your situation. It sounds very difficult. I’m glad you’ve found this forum as you will get lots of help and support here.

It might help you to give the Dementia Connect Support line a ring and talk things through with one of the advisers there -