Has anyone been diagnosed with NPH dementia?

mrsapple

Feb 4, 2013
Northumberland
My mum's only diagnosis of vascular dementia was by her GP - she had no tests whatsoever. I've always wondered if the GP's impromptu diagnosis was correct - I know that every PWD presents differently but from what I've read here on TP, there never seemed to be much similarity with mum's presentation of VasD and susequent deterioration. Mum died four years ago, but I find I'm still reading posts on TP and looking for answers (although I realise there may very well be none). Recently heard about NPH for the first time, which seemed to ring a few bells.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
If you type NPH into the search box you will be able to see a number of past threads that mention this dementia. Maybe some of them will give you answers/closure. Just click the link below to begin the search. Type NPH in the 'Keywords' box at the top and click search at the bottom of the page

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/search/

mrsapple

Feb 4, 2013
Northumberland
Thanks for that info, have had a look online as well and there are definite similarities. Mum had a hip replacement a few years prior, at the age of 70, and was never really the same afterwards. She walked very slowly, shuffling along barely lifting her feet from the ground, had numerous unexplained falls when her left leg just gave way, and many times would get ready to go out then be too frightened to go outside. She was initially diagnosed with vertebrobasilar insufficiency, then after a further fall diagnosed with vascular dementia by her GP. I wish I'd pushed for more tests.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976