Has anybody had any experience with Gout ?

Stresshead

Sep 13, 2014
Hi All

My dad has suddenly started to complain of a really bad pain in his ankle and can't walk on it. It's fine when he's resting but the minute he stands up he's in agony with it. He hasn't fallen or twisted it and it isn't swollen, bruised, red or warm to touch it just looks normal.

I've given him some pain killers and anti-inflamatory's but it hasn't eased so I think I'll have to call the doctor out (again) tomorrow.

Somebody has mentioned Gout to me and I wondered if anyone had an experience of it?

Thanks in advance.

Stresshead xx

Pegsdaughter

Oct 7, 2014
London
Oh has it started when he was in Saudi Arabia. Also dad and it was put to one of the tablets he was taking. It's extremely painful so poor your dad

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I very much doubt it's gout (although I'm not a doctor). It almost certainly would be red and swollen and it would also hurt when he was at rest (on the basis of my mother's experience). But it could be other things so you should get him to the GP.

Stresshead

Sep 13, 2014
Thanks for the replies.

Maybe it's not gout maybe it's something like Arthritis instead...............I'm not a doctor either so I suppose no point in second guessing.

It just seems to be one thing after another at the moment. I'll call the doctor in the morning.

xx

Cinder

Dec 14, 2014
My husband suffers from gout.
It is excruciating.
Joints are red, swollen & shiny. Pain is constant & not affected by pressure or rest of the joint.
It is usually found on the ankle "knuckle" when in that joint. The boney bit on the inside of the ankle rather than the outside.
If he has moments when there is no pain when ankle is at rest, it's highly unlikely to be gout. I
Worth checking with GP to be sure though!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I think gout is a form of arthritis, by the way. GP thought OH had gout once, excruciating! Then found he had an ulcer on toe, and toe started to turn black. Poor circulation. Needed immediate stents ( in iliac arteries of legs).

So I think GP in the morning, just to get things checked out, plus more effective pain killers!

Cinder

Dec 14, 2014
Yes- it is a form of arthritis.
It is caused by crystals of Uric acid forming in the joints.
It is the most painful arthritis it is possible to get. Thankfully the attacks are only 2 weeks in duration!
Allopurinol tablets prevent flare-ups.

sah

Apr 20, 2009
Dorset
My father suffered with this; then they fond out it was caused by a heart problem as his circulation had become poor. Changed his medication and it cleared.. ( can't remember what it was from/to-sorry!)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My late husband suffered occasional gout attacks. What you describe doesn't sound like gout, but should be checked.
I found the very best cure and prevention for gout was dried cherries. William would chew them when he got an attack. They always worked faster than the medication!

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
I heard about the cherries too. And nettle tea (tea bags in supermarkets). If you drank it regularly the uric acid may never form into crystals.

Stresshead

Sep 13, 2014
Thanks again for the replies. The doctor came to have a look today and found that his heel was slightly red and ankle a little bit swollen but not warm. She's not sure if it's Gout but has requested a blood test and an x-ray to check.

Whilst she was there I asked her to look at dads night time incontinence pants as when I changed them this morning he had blood in them. She said that it may be due to his bladder cancer (he has some tumors they they can't remove as he is not well enough to undergo the op) or it may be that he has a water infection.

Dad is practically always on antibiotics for recurrent chest infections and is on them at the moment but today he has been a little bit more confused than normal and I have really struggled to get him to understand me.

Now I am wondering if he's got a UTI at the same time as a chest infection and actually that's what's making him shaky on his legs and he is just mistaking it for pain ?? The fact that he is currently on antibiotics may just be stopping the full affects of the UTI coming out but they aren't the right ones to clear it. If that makes sense ? He's finished those antibiotics today so I guess we will have to wait and see. The District Nurse is coming on Monday to do the blood tests.

It could be a bumpy weekend :(

xx

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If you suspect a UTI, don't wait for Monday. Ask for a duty doctor to make a house call, they can prescribe antibiotics.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
If you suspect a UTI, don't wait for Monday. Ask for a duty doctor to make a house call, they can prescribe antibiotics.

I strongly agree with Beate. Monday is too long to wait. My OH nearly always passed blood when he had a UTI.

Hope you get things sorted out.

Love

Lyn T XX

Stresshead

Sep 13, 2014
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll give them a call xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Antibiotics can be specific. I.e. antibiotics for respiratory infection wouldn't necessarily have any affect on UTI and vice versa. Best get it checked, to be safe.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75