Hard work persuading her to take tablets

shellbag

Jul 17, 2017
I find if my feller dosent want to take his pills or cant swallow them I give him them in a spoonfull of Squirty cream. I tell him the cream is for his throat to stop it getting sore in the night and to swallow it down in one go. We've had no problems since...Good luck

Noosner

Feb 29, 2016
Ilkley
Just wanted to add a vote for Laxido and Movicol, which my Dad quite likes the taste of, especially the Laxido orange flavour. Better than swalllowing tablets, which he refuses to do (he thinks they will choke him). He will sometimes crunch them up in his mouth (which must be very bitter tasting) and if they are capsules, he empties the powder out then licks his finger and dips it in. Not ideal but needs must.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
C has tried Movicol and Laxido, but says even the diabetic sugar free one is too sweet which is ironic as she has a sweet tooth.

Noosner

Feb 29, 2016
Ilkley
C has tried Movicol and Laxido, but says even the diabetic sugar free one is too sweet which is ironic as she has a sweet tooth.

Right. Yes, once they've taken a dislike to something, however baffling, there's not a lot you can do (same goes when they take a dislike to a person, in my Dad's case!)

Actaeon70

May 27, 2014
I work in a care home and even if we just put medication in yogurt etc we have to tell the person they're being given medication. We can only give medication covertly with the consent of family/next of kin and with a doctor's written permission. In the outside world, I'm not sure what the rules are.

Cathedral Town

Dec 16, 2016
Just wanted to add a vote for Laxido and Movicol, which my Dad quite likes the taste of, especially the Laxido orange flavour. Better than swalllowing tablets, which he refuses to do (he thinks they will choke him). He will sometimes crunch them up in his mouth (which must be very bitter tasting) and if they are capsules, he empties the powder out then licks his finger and dips it in. Not ideal but needs must.
I crush the tablets in a tablet crusher, mix the powder with a spoonful of yoghurt. Feed the mixture with the spoon. I mix the Laxido with 100 ml apple juice as required.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Is Lamprazole for digestive problems? My Mum had lansoprazole and it came in an oro-dispersible tablet which disperses on the tongue or can be sucked.

She also had Movicol for constipation but I got the plain powder form and mixed it with a fruit drink that she liked the flavour of. She wouldn't always drink it down at once but it can be left and sipped as and when.

roman

Aug 8, 2007
Liverpool
My mum had problems taking tablets and we used hide them in food.We later had all medicines in liquid form.She had vascular dementia and when she was admitted to hospital they assessed her swallow which was delayed and may be the reason for her former problems.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Is Lamprazole for digestive problems? My Mum had lansoprazole and it came in an oro-dispersible tablet which disperses on the tongue or can be sucked.

She also had Movicol for constipation but I got the plain powder form and mixed it with a fruit drink that she liked the flavour of. She wouldn't always drink it down at once but it can be left and sipped as and when.

I cannot remember the correct name or spelling, but it is some name like that and it is for swallowing problem. They will now give C a soluble form of it. They are also doubling Docusate for constipation, I didn't know that was what it was for and certainly won't tell C if nobody else does.

Someone further up said constipation can add to confusion which I wasn't aware of, but that's worth remembering.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
This thread seems to have morphed from 'how to take tablets' into 'controlling constipation'.

I had problems using all the standard medications, anything could happen, no effect leading to bypass diarrhoea, delayed effect leading to 'explosion', occasionally the desired result.
There was absolutely no consistency in what could happen.

A chance remark at a carers' meeting provided the solution - regular stews containing Knorr Stock Pots with plenty of onions!!.

This, combined with the day centre recording all BMs on the Bristol scale, solved the problem.

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
When I had my knee replacement and was 'required to go', I was given warmed prune juice. According to the nurses, it's drinking it warm that creates the desired effect - and after a couple of doses it did the trick. They served it in a wine glass as if I was getting something decent! Ha ha ha Seriously though, it tasted fine.

Bringing it back to PWD - Mum has a repeat prescription for Dulcolax now which she happily knocks back. Although when she was living on her own, I always kept a bottle of prune juice in her fridge.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
@nae sporran, is Sodium Docusate that really foul tasting laxative? I had some once and nearly choked and couldn't get rid of the taste for a day. You don't say that C has complained of it though so maybe it isn't?

Continuing on the constipation theme, I find All Bran every day works for me! If I miss it, I have problems. Bran flakes don't have the same effect - I don't think they're as powerful. I also tried bran from the health shop but the little flakes caused me to choke.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I don't actually what the sodium docusate is, but the doctor says she is currently being prescribed it. I really need to check.
Prune juice is appealing as C loves prunes.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
You can buy ready to eat prunes, fat Juicy ones at most supermarkets. Two or three a day as a special treat (depending on effect)

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
It's funny how things seem to flare up with C then settle down again. The doctor changed Senna for increase in Docusate, and changed Lanseprazole (still can't spell it) to a soluble version. Now she is back to complaining when I hand her the tablets, but takes them easily. No problems on the constipation thankfully, the Docusate combined with occasional prunes and bran flakes are keeping that one under control.
Thanks again for all your advice and suggestions.