Happy Birthday Aunty!

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Well after weeks of attempting to organise a "party" tomorrow is the day. Aunty will be 74 and I'm hoping that there will be about 20 of her friends and we few family there to surprise her.

Now there's a question - is "surprise" a good idea?

Bit late to wonder now as I've got this far. Lots of calling of people from her address books, most of whom sound very positive and lovely - but how am I to know if she actually "likes" them???

This could be very interesting couldn't it! A neighbour has now planted the doubt over whether it all might upset her? My first reaction is "never" because she was always very social, loved dining out etc but of course the doubt is now there isn't it.

I've booked a room at her favourite restaurant, with a buffet - so easy finger food, informal, able to chat in groups etc. I've planted new clothes in her wardrobe ready for the staff to dress her in. I suggested to her last weekend that we would take her out for a meal on her birthday so she "had" the thought planted ready.

Oh dear - I'm breaking all my own rules about routine - just hoping she's not too far down the slope and will be able to enjoy an hour or two.

Keep your fingers crossed everyone please!

Kriss

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Sounds like a lovely idea. Hope all goes well for you.
Happy Birthday Auntie!

Magic

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Kriss, hope it all goes swingingly, often they cope very well, or at least my mum did, a bit of the old "keeping up appearances", she may be tired the next day though so I'd keep it a quiet one if you can so you can all recover. Love She. XX

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Kriss,

Once Auntie gets over the surprise, I'm sure she will have a wonderful time.

I held a surprise Diamond Wedding party for my parents a couple of years' ago and they were absolutely thrilled to see all their old friends and relatives. I bought a Magnolia Stellata and we also had a 'tree planting ceremony'. They often look at the photos and the party has stuck in their minds, even though it's quite a while ago now.

I did wonder at the time if it would be too much for them, but I'm glad now that I did.

Have a wonderful party.

Jude

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Success!

We ended up with 30 people in total but many staggered their arrivals to allow Aunty time to cope. She was a star!

We've now left her at the home surrounded by gifts and cards to open later when she has got her second wind. By the time we got back her speech was more slurred than usual but that could be either tiredness or 3 Martini's, 2 Bucks Fizz and a sparkling wine! The matron said she probably won't need the haliperidol tonight...

I'd scanned about 80 photos taken from all stages of her life and included family and friends and left the laptop scrolling through the images. This was a great hit with everyone and a few have asked me for a CD for themselves.

The old "auto-pilot" cut in from the moment we set off from the home, if there is a payback to be made tonight or in the coming days we don't know, but it was worth every minute to see her back in her element for a couple of hours. When I asked her afterwards if she had enjoyed it and said I hoped it was what she wanted she managed to say "of course, if I hadn't liked it I would have clocked you"!!! And that came out very clearly.

You can uncross your fingers now - job done.

Thanks for your encouragement

Kriss
(making hay while the sun shines)

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Oh I'm so pleased for you all, this will be a memory to really cherish amongst all the usual negative AD stuff, Love, She. XX

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Kriss,

HURRAY, HURRAY, HURRAY....!!

I'm SO pleased that the party was such a succes and that Auntie enjoyed herself to the max.

Could you post a photo here later, so that we can all enjoy it too?

I thought I'd dig out one of the oldies DWA over the weekend and post one - now that I know how to do it.

Well done, indeed.

Jude

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear All,

This is a photo of my parents at their DWA Party.

Attachments

• dwa oldies.jpg
    dwa oldies.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 376

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Seems simple enough...

If I just get a blank box I apologise in advance!

Attachments

• rose 040903.jpg
    rose 040903.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 374

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
And since the camera is not so kind these days this is how she'll always look to me.

Attachments

• untitled(2).jpg
    untitled(2).jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 360

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Kriss,

Your Auntie looks wonderful in both photos. She looks like she's having a brilliant time at the party - big smile and glass of champage!

Jude

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Carol and Kriss,

I'm so glad that Brucie showed me how to post photos, bless him.

I'm also really pleased that I thought of posting the one of my parents and delighted to see that Kriss is even better at doing so than I. At least your photos fit the page!! I shall resolve to do better.

Jude

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coo