Happier times

JMW

Jun 14, 2007
I know a lot of times people post for advice and when they are feeling low, but i thought i would just tell you about my mum's birthday which was last friday (26th Oct). She's in a home locally and both my husband and i decided to take the afternoon off to go and see her. She is in the latter stages of Alzheimers so communication is very little. When we got there she was in the lounge with a lot of the other residents and they were having a "sing song" for her birthday. She loves music and although she can't sing anymore she has a good go! We sang happy birthday to her at the end. It was a lovely atmosphere and you could tell she really enjoyed it. Also one of her good friends also came during the afternoon so it was even better. We were there nearly 3 hours in total and they were having a birthday tea for her as well with the usual sausage rolls etc and gateau. Had trouble tearing my husband away!! The home really put a lot of effort into making it a special day for her and we are so grateful to them. I wouldn't have believed a couple of years ago that i would enjoy time with her like this. So for all of you out there who are having a bad time with your loved ones, its times like these that you will remember in the future. My heart and thoughts are with you all.

Thank you for letting me share this happy occasion.

JMW

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh thank you.

It`s so refreshing to hear there can be some pleasure within AD. It is rare indeed. I`m so pleased for you and for your mother and know the memory will stay with you.

Love xx

Westie

May 14, 2007
South East London/Surrey border
What a lovely afternoon for you all. How fantastic of your Mum's home to make such an effort to make her birthday one to remember, rather than one to forget.

Thank you for sharing such a positive, cheerful, enjoyable event.

Love Mary-Ann