Hanging on to normal

Tomsnan

Nov 27, 2018
I don't post often on here but do read. I have Alzheimer's, live alone with my cat and usually rumble along some good days other bad days I have my son and his family living close and they are a good support to me. But the last 2 or 3 days I don't know what has gone wrong. I can't seem to figure out how to do the simplest of things even getting a cup of tea is beyond me where's the kettle or the water and where do i put the tea bag type of thing I,
m stumbling from one thing to another and i'm so angry and frustrated with myself. i had a plate in my hand but couldn't think where to put it and i'm so frightened. usually i manage most things get a bit muddled up and can't remember things but i've never been frightened about it before. it's as though all the bad things with dementia have got me panicked but i can't do anything differently. if i cant get a grip on this then where does it go from here. it's not like me to be so defeated

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Tomsnan

Sorry to hear you`re struggling.

Is it possible you may have an infection? Even the mildest infection with no apparent symptom causes chaos in people with dementia.

I know this because my husband became very confused virtually overnight and I was really surprised to find he had a chest infection. No one would have known.

I don't know how easy it will be to get a check up in your area, with the COVID-19 in the way. I had a telephone consultation with my doctor recently but that will be of no use to you.

Please discuss this with your family and let them help you. Tell them how you are feeling. They will be hurt if you hold back and don`t let them know how you are.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @Tomsnan . This may sound like over simplifying but are you drinking enough in this hot weather? Dehydration can make a massive difference to the way the brain works. It may be that the heat and dehydration has affected you in this way. I see that @Grannie G has also mentioned infections - UTI's can come on very quickly in hot weather too.

I agree that if you are worried you should speak to your family and let them support you. No need for you to feel alone. Keep posting too. We are listening.

Tomsnan

Nov 27, 2018
Thank you for your replies. my son has rung our go and the nurse is coming out to see me this afternoon.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
That's good @Tomsnan . Ask for a urine sample check if poss. Hopefully it is just the hot weather or simple UTI causing increased confusion. Let us know how you get on. So glad you have a supportive family nearby.

Mar 25, 2020
Hello Tomsnan,
Just wondering how you are feeling now, after having a visit from the nurse?
Do hope you are feeling a bit better...

Sending a socially distanced hug x