hanging on the telephone!

asaltydog

Jun 22, 2005
N Wales
I'm out at work all day & so ring mum at home to see how she is.
Sometimes she doesn't replace the receiver properly & so the phone
is engaged for the rest of the day.
Any suggestions to overcome this problem would be welcome! :confused:

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Hi!
Sorry, no suggestions, just "welcome to the club".
The telephone contact was such a lifeline for us until recently: even after my husband had forgotten how to make calls, he would still answer the 'phone. This gave me some peace of mind during my working day, and lessened the feelings of guilt for not being there with him. It also enabled me to remind him that it was time for lunch, for example, or if he felt 'down' I could tell him how soon I would be back home. However, more and more frequently he would fail to put the receiver back correctly - how frustrating!
Sadly, he now does not answer the phone any more at all. These little 'steps backwards' illustrate how cruel this disease is, and how dependent the 'patient' becomes.
We take so many little things for granted.
I hope someone else has a useful tip for you!
Best wishes.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi salty Dog,
I have all these problems when I pop out and try to ring my wife.
I am sorry I cannot give an answer to this problem.
Norman :eek:

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
As you say Nan 'welcome to the club'. Lionel has not been able to use the phone now for well over a year. Yet another lifeline gone.
Some consulation though, at least he's not wasting money on 'chat lines'..............
I knew there would be a silver lining somewhere. Regards, Connie

galliwotsit

May 10, 2005
Manchester
Would ther ebe any advantage in the telephones that the hard of hearing use that have a flasjing light on them. It may prompt your loved ones to replace the receiver. Or you could always do what I do - ring the neighbour and ask if they would mind knocking on and telling hubby that I'm trying to ring him!!!

LOL

chrissieL

Jun 22, 2005
Shropshire
Hi,
My husband had the same problem, we used a cordless phone and sometimes they don't fit in the cradle too well, he also used to put it in upside down!
I changed to an old fashioned corded phone with a cradle that had quite high sides ( just a cheap one) and that seemed to work quite well. He began having trouble coping with other calls though, forgetting who called and not writing down messages etc. so now he doesn't want to use the phone at all!! You can't win really.
I've got 1471 Extra now to get the last 4 calls and hope he will use the phone again just when I'm out, I'm not holding my breath though.

Dave W

Jul 3, 2005
Bucks
chrissieL said:
Hi,
I changed to an old fashioned corded phone with a cradle that had quite high sides ( just a cheap one) and that seemed to work quite well.

I just bought my Mum a phone like this (the only place I could anything like it was Argos), and it seems to have solved that problem - a simple tip, but an easy one.

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Hi All,

Hasn't anyone invented a phone that emits a deafening noise if you don't replace the receiver correctly? If not, then I claim patent rights....

Jude

asaltydog

Jun 22, 2005
N Wales
hanging on the telephone! 2

thanks for all the replies. Jude , the phone does make a siren like noise if left
off the hook but to no effect....I've seen mum sitting right next to the ringing
phone & she doesn't always pick it up.
There are no end of things advertised for older people like chair lifts, walk in
baths etc but someone with AD could never use them on their own.
Mum quite cheerful when I got home from work today but as quite often the
case anxious as the evening went on.
There really isn't much on tv to watch...although we do watch Mastermind....I have to keep telling her the question master is John Humphries!
Obviously she's pleased when she can remember something...the recent
Springwatch programme on tv she recognised Bill Oddy & enjoyed watching
a Fawlty Towers dvd...from a long time ago!
Best Wishes to you all. :)

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi asaltydog,

asaltydog said:
There are no end of things advertised for older people like chair lifts, walk in
baths etc but someone with AD could never use them on their own.

We have found this to be true for my father-in-law. He no longer has the ability to master new systems/equipment. Things like bath seats that require a sequence of steps to be performed (and require battery packs to be recharged) were not workable without the support of a carer (my mother-in-law).

asaltydog said:
Springwatch programme on tv she recognised Bill Oddy & enjoyed watching
a Fawlty Towers dvd...from a long time ago!

There is an amazing variety of nature, music and documentary dvd's out there, as well as familiar television favourites and classic movies. Even old time radio shows can be used to stimulate memories.

Take care,

Sandy

Shakey1961a

Nov 7, 2004
Southport
I don't know if this is feasable, but would she be able to understand to press a button to answer a call on a mobile phone? Was just thinking from the point of view that when you finish the call the phone is ready to recieve another call.

Then again probably not!!!

I know I was away from home for a while a few years back and I rang home and mum answered the call. Dad had gone shopping ( I was annoyed that he'd left her in by herself) I knew if I put the phone down mum wouldn't have put the reciever back. I was running out of money at the call box so I had to end the call. A few minutes later I tried again and dad had returned and found the phone off the hook. I knew immediately it was ok as it rang.

Was very very worrying though, so my heart really does go out to you.

Perhaps a word with BT would be a start.

thompsonsom

Jul 4, 2004
halifax
Hi asaltydog

This could be worth a try we have a cordless bt freestyle 2100 and as long as the handset is placed back in the receiver you do not have to disconnect the call, it does it automatic. You can pick one up on ebay for £9.99

Janice