Handy Hints

SisterAct

Jul 5, 2011
Liverpool, Merseyside
I was just reading Jeanines post about the toilet issue she had and how she resolved it. There are TP members who have thought up lots of ideas, big and small for helping to cope with looking after their loved ones.

What about sharing your best 'invention' here in this thread. Who knows perhaps we could produce a book at the end of it and raise some money for Dementia?

Polly x

SisterAct

Jul 5, 2011
Liverpool, Merseyside
Coughing up phlegm..Ugh!

I know this is horrible but here goes...

Dad has COPD as well as VAD. Sometimes when he coughs up he doesn't always see the bowl so we have phlegm everywhere...ugh!
So we bought a hard plastic coloured bowl like the ones used for picnics ( still trying to find red) and cover it with cling film. When he spits it is so easy to remove the phlegm because of the film and replace with more cling film
Polly x

SisterAct

Jul 5, 2011
Liverpool, Merseyside
Toilet Issue

Cut and pasted from Jeanines Toilet Issue post.

Today, 01:04 AMJeanine
toilet issues breakthrough

Hi everyone

For months my dad has had problems aiming at the toilet - he gets in there - locks the door and then doesn't know what to do so it ends up everywhere (not just pee but also poop). Mum has tried to go with him to help but often he will zip in without her noticing. The daily cleaning has worn mum down.

Anyway I just wanted to let you know - if there is anyone else out there facing the same thing that we have discovered through some help that he cant see the colours - the toilet and the walls are all very similar in colour and apparently dads alzheimers means he cant tell the difference so we got a BRIGHT blue toilet seat yesterday and - SUCCESS !

If we hadve know this months ago so much anxiety wouldve been saved so Im passing this on in the hope you wont have such battles

J

Last edited:

SisterAct

Jul 5, 2011
Liverpool, Merseyside
Toilet Issue

Cut and pasted from Jeanines Toilet Issue post.

A big sheet of coloured cardboard, like used for school projects, put behind the toilet can work also. It increases the contrast of the toilet from the rest of the wall. Bright yellow worked for my father-in-law, but maybe it depends on the colour of the toilet and wall.
I put a hook and eye latch on our bathroom door so Sharon couldn't get in easily on her own and I could hear her rattling the door when she tried and then go in with her to help.
richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Our Story" http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/sc...ocumentID=1924

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Putting something red in their room in a care home can make it more easy to identify as their room.

Don't have blue carpets if possible as it can be mistaken for water.

A black mat in front of the door might stop people trying to go out as they think its a big hole.

SisterAct

Jul 5, 2011
Liverpool, Merseyside
Finding Toilet

Putting something red in their room in a care home can make it more easy to identify as their room.

Don't have blue carpets if possible as it can be mistaken for water.

A black mat in front of the door might stop people trying to go out as they think its a big hole.

Wow that is great advice.

We bought a large canvas print from the charity shop with a huge red flower on and put it by the downstairs loo as Dad was peeing everywhere (he thought he was in different houses) and we were amazed that he remembered it was where the toilet was. Makes sense now....thank you x

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I was told red was the last colour to be recognised, just as I believe red is the first for a baby. Since I have used red life is a bit easier.

As suggested by Sox take off toilet locks if they can't be opened from outside in an emergency.

Last edited:

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
In mums CH, she has a key for her room door and was always losing it :rolleyes: We bought retractible key rings from the auction site. Attached to her bag, she can easily use the key & can't lose it. Amazingly, this has been successful now for about 6 months, mum doesn't try to undo it.

Lin x

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Great but.....

Many suggestions regarding tips and hints have been moved to "resources" in the past in an attempt to save them getting lost in the masses of other messages, so if you look there you may find a host of tips.

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Red....

because we are omnivores red also has a stimulating effect on our appetites which goes back to primeval days. Studies have apparently shown red in dining room can have a stimulating effect on dementia sufferers appetites too.

Similarly because we are taught from a very early age Red means "stop" and green means "go" and these are failry universally used it can be useful to paint the doors in care homes so that Red means no go areas - such as offices and store-rooms, and Green is used for toilets "cos when you gotta go you gotta GO".

Another tip I came up with recently which might be useful in a care home setting is this - If they have a name sign on the door many people have a single image that is on the sign (when my Mum was in care hers was a red rose) if you can copy the image and put it in one of those "picture keyrings" you can clip them to any item so the picture gives the owner and carers a clue who it belongs too. So useful for all those handbags that seem to float around.

Last edited:

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Creating Moments of Joy

Creating Moments of Joy by Jolene Brackey

This book I have found really useful for answering question like -
I want to go home
I'm late for work

And all those other difficult situations we need to deal with in a positive way

Not easy to do to start with, but some things do imbed themselves in your head and work time after time - I'm even using these methods on the rest of my family (without dementia) with good results :)

Last edited:

carole robson

Oct 2, 2012
newcastle on tyne
My red dress

I have started visiting the 'old dears' in my local care home. I asked Dan, if he would remember my name - he said probably not, but i will remember your dress. This got me thinking......would it be more helpful, if i did wear the same clothes(washed of course) every time i went.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet