"Hands Off Dementia Drugs" campaign/Early Motion 662

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Well, I've just been as busy as anything forwarding information on this... I've put it on numerous forums, contacted my MP and media groups etc. etc.

Here's what I've sent out... of it's any use to any of you you are more than welcome to copy & paste and send it wherever.

:)

The following Bold Type taken from the Alzheimer's Society:

The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (Nice) has rejected the views of thousands of people by failing to reconsider its proposal to withdraw Alzheimer’s drug treatments from the NHS.

More than 8,000 people wrote to Nice following the publication of draft guidance issued in March. It was an unprecedented response.

But despite being overwhelmed with personal and professional testimonies highlighting the benefits of these drugs, Nice has decided to prolong the uncertainty for people with dementia and their carers whilst it re-examines the facts.

The Alzheimer’s Society believes there is overwhelming evidence, which clearly shows that these drugs work, and at just £2.50 a day are good value for money. Why won’t Nice listen?

As you may know, this is something I have been supporting and following closely for some time - here is some updated info. on this:

Over 120 MPs have added their names to early day motion 662 in support of the Action on Alzheimer's Drugs alliance campaign to keep Alzheimer's drugs on the NHS.

The alliance would like as many MPs as possible to sign it to show their support for people with dementia and their carers.

The early day motion 662 'agrees with the Action on Alzheimer’s Drugs alliance that effective drug treatments for Alzheimer’s disease should be available on the NHS'

Early day motion 662
The early day motion 662 is as follows:

That this House expresses its deep concern that the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) appraisal committee has rejected the responses to the consultation on Alzheimer's drugs and has not yet approved prescription of these drugs on the NHS; believes that these drugs are both clinically and cost effective; notes that NICE agrees that the drugs provide clinical benefits; further notes that the average cost of treatment is £2.50 per day; further notes that thousands of people with dementia and their carers have made representations to NICE that these drugs improve quality of life; further notes that an alliance of leading patient and professional organisations in dementia care and research has been launched to campaign for fair access to drug treatments for people with dementia on the NHS; agrees with the Action on Alzheimer's Drugs Alliance that effective drug treatments for Alzheimer's disease should be available on the NHS; fears that NICE has failed to consider the important concerns raised by the Department of Health about its draft guidance; and calls upon the Government to ensure that these concerns are addressed.

For more information and a list of MP signatures click the link below:
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/News_and_Campaigns/News/051128EDMDrugs.htm

Nice will meet on 20 December to make a final decision on this issue.

If you can folks, please access the above link in order to email your M.P. - I have done so with the following information which you are welcome to copy and paste.

Dear (insert name) - I am again writing to you on this issue which you replied to previously, and I thank you for your previous correspondence.

This is an update re: The early day motion 662 which 'agrees with the Action on Alzheimer’s Drugs alliance that effective drug treatments for Alzheimer’s disease should be available on the NHS'

I am asking you to sign early day motion 662 to show your support for the campaign and the alliance.

Alzheimer’s drugs that help thousands of people with dementia and their carers must stay on the NHS. Nice will meet on 20 December to make a final decision on this issue.

Please let me know your views on this issue and whether you are able to sign early day motion 662.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this - much appreciated.

Yours sincerely

Neil Baxter

Student Nurse and Committee Member of the Wigan & Leigh Branch of the Alzheimer's Society.

N.

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
connie said:
Thanks Neil, I am in regular contact with our MP. but it is always nice to get an update. Have copied your email. Connie

Not a problem... as I said, I've posted loads re: this on other forums/sent emails out...

Re: many forums... no replies but many page views - great isn't it? You want to scare of a vampire, you use garlic - but if you want to scare of people in general just mention...

DEMENTIA!!!

Mind you... I've posted stuff on this before and had some good input, and a friend of my wife's also got a letter back from her M.P. so the message is going out there... I've even posted to none-U.K. folk on this to see if they can forward it on to U.K. friends etc.

This is the one time where I'm guilty of 'spamming' - and I'll continue to do so until they drag me away kicking and screaming.

:D

N.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Reply from M.P. today.

Hi Neil, have just had word from our M.P. He has voted in the E.D.M and sent a copy to our local paper. Have to give credit where it is due, he has been very helpful. Connie

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
connie said:
Hi Neil, have just had word from our M.P. He has voted in the E.D.M and sent a copy to our local paper. Have to give credit where it is due, he has been very helpful. Connie

Great stuff!

If I get word back from my M.P. I'll let you know - he did write previously, so I'm hopeful.

Anyone else on here had any response folks?

N.