Hand washing and staying at home.

Tonilou

Jun 11, 2019
I care for an 88 year old lady with dementia. She lives alone but I go in regularly. I’m still seeing her with the support of her family, but I’m the only one meant to be having face to face contact to keep both her and me safe. She’s still going out and walking down to her granddaughters house, being calmly walked home again. But I cannot seem to get her to wash her hands properly. She’s not even using soap but literally rinsing her fingers under the tap for a few seconds. Any advice? I’ve tried social stories, big signs for her to read and showing her what to do but it’s not going in.

Tonilou

Jun 11, 2019
Have you got antibacterial gel? It's not as good as soap but better than nothing.
Wish we did. All sold out here, difficult to even get soap to be honest. ☹️ Anyone know how I could get hold of any?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Could you ask her to wash something in soapy water? Maybe some cups or cloths. Not as good as hand washing but probably better than a quick rinse under the tap.

Sanitary Sue

Mar 27, 2020
I live with my elderly parents and 2 children. My mother who is 83 always acts like she is invincible - with the Corona virus it's no different. Goes shopping several times a day and rarely washes hands also insists on doing all the cooking as she has always done. Gets very angry if we try to explain the risks. The best thing you can do is to clean regularly used surfaces and door handles - washing up liquid is as good as Dettol according to Which? consumer magazine - and wash your own hands.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
Hi I use a hot flannel and any type of liquid soap,you may not find anti bac soap,I bought a few bottles from Tesco last week for babies,it's a good price at £1 one is called head to toe wash and the other cuddly soft baby wash they are branded Fred and Flo and I think it's a range designed to compete with Aldi and Lidl,they are fine as soap if you have a Tesco near you,Savers have Dove soap in dump bins but that's a bar,somebody will have soap even if it's a corner shop or even a garage
If your stuck watered down fairly liquid would be fine put some in a basin with warm water and give the cloth a swish around in it,make sure you have a manicure set to clean underneath nails,my mum gets pink eye from dirty hands rubbing her eyes

Last edited: