Hand Aid?

Ethelred88

Nov 15, 2018
Sorry for the obscure subject but I don't know what to call what I'm looking for, which is why I'm posting.

Sadly my Mum is in the last few months of her life and has lost the use of her hands. They are now permanently clenched and get very sweaty, smelly and despite cutting her nails regularly, they are digging into her palm.

Can anyone advise whether there anything I can buy or use to help this situation and make her more comfortable please.

Thanks.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi.Sometimes a soft rolled up cloth between the hands will do or a soft sock after washing her hands.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
My sister suffered a stroke, she had chunks of what looked like pipe insulation to hold, they were covered with some stretchy stockinette
Cheap & easy to make id have thought, might be worth a try

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
You can buy sheepskin palm protectors because OH physio was going to get him some but decided to go for a splint as his little and ring finger has just tarting to curl and wants to prevent it getting worse.

Nightid

Jun 18, 2021
My mum is in a nursing home and her hand is clenched tight. She has an infected cut on one of her hidden fingers due to a long sharp nail. When allowed to visit ( Covid restrictions) I try to file her nail and clean her hand but it's very difficult. I have tried a small hair roller covered in cloth but the home doesn't keep replacing it or cleaning her hand. Would Physiotherapy help?. She also has recurrent eye infections. She has been diagnosed with vascular dementia.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
You can buy palm protectors and contracture cushions online. Some seem a bit pricey but might be worth it. My mum (who in in a care home) has the same problem. I think her palm protector may have been supplied by the doctor/district nurse, as I haven't been asked to pay for it, so possibly worth asking the GP

Nightid

Jun 18, 2021
Thanks for advice. We have tried putting various cushioning into her hand including a palm protector but the care staff take it out and don't replace it. We are only allowed to visit once a week so replace it then. I just wondered if physiotherapy would help. GP has seen her hand an has given her some cream which I haven't seen yet.

phill

Aug 8, 2007
Thanks for advice. We have tried putting various cushioning into her hand including a palm protector but the care staff take it out and don't replace it. We are only allowed to visit once a week so replace it then. I just wondered if physiotherapy would help. GP has seen her hand an has given her some cream which I haven't seen yet.
Why not start by contacting the management, ask them what steps they are currently taking to alleviate this, and what they have instructed the carers to do in terms of protecting her palm?

Nightid

Jun 18, 2021
Why not start by contacting the management, ask them what steps they are currently taking to alleviate this, and what they have instructed the carers to do in terms of protecting her palm?
I think I will have to. Mum was frightened that the carers might be resentful of her if we involved management.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I think I will have to. Mum was frightened that the carers might be resentful of her if we involved management.
Well she shouldn't be! Definitely contact the management about this. It's a simple thing for carers to make sure she has hand protectors in place - there is no excuse not to.

I also think it would easy enough to make something suitable.

Not sure that OT/physio would help. Contractures are often part of late stage dementia and can't - as far as I know - be fixed.

Ton3

Dec 2, 2019
Hi Ethelred88

My wife made some (we named them squishers!) for her Mum as she dug her nails in no matter how short we kept them.

She made them out of foam which she cut into fist size pieces and stitched some knitting squares around them, MIL loves them and is always picking them up from her bed if they are out of her hands for any length of time, she even clutches one when she goes to sleep.

Of course staff will have to be advised that they need to ensure your Mum has whatever you provide for this reinstated at all times after they have been removed for whatever reason.
Ours are also easily washed when needed.