Hallucintations

caqqufa

Jun 4, 2016
How do you deal with hallucinations: e.g. snakes going up the wall, curtains swaying, mice going under furniture, etc etc ect ?

jorgieporgie

Mar 2, 2016
YORKSHIRE
I don't think there is anything we can do, unless trying different meds and see if any work. I think it is just part and parcel of dementia. We have had the same but with mirrors and voices. Sorry I know that's not much help but Mum is on a mild sedative and she still gets them. Good luck x

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If they are not distressing the person, do nothing.

If they are distressing the person seek medical help.

Sometimes saying you will get rid of the snake, walking over to it, picking it up, and throwing it away somewhere can help. Do this with a suitably firm, but calm, commentary.

caqqufa

Jun 4, 2016
I don't think there is anything we can do, unless trying different meds and see if any work. I think it is just part and parcel of dementia. We have had the same but with mirrors and voices. Sorry I know that's not much help but Mum is on a mild sedative and she still gets them. Good luck x

thanks for your reply. actually it was a type of medication that started them off :(

caqqufa

Jun 4, 2016
If they are not distressing the person, do nothing.

If they are distressing the person seek medical help.

Sometimes saying you will get rid of the snake, walking over to it, picking it up, and throwing it away somewhere can help. Do this with a suitably firm, but calm, commentary.

Thanks for this tip. Tried it today and it worked. In fact at one time he kept insisting that it was still there (a cockroach this time) so I said : don't let it worry you, will deal with it when I'm cleaning' and he simply moved away. :)

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
How do you deal with hallucinations: e.g. snakes going up the wall, curtains swaying, mice going under furniture, etc etc ect ?

We had Margaret Thatcher visiting, umpteen other uninvited guests, and Pam Ayres was a member of his Day Centre. :eek: I would always deal with these people as if they were actually there.

For example, it would have been futile to tell John that (a) Margaret Thatcher wouldn't visit us and (b) she was dead, so I went into the hall, where John said she was waiting, and, talking to the wall, thanked her for coming, but said it wasn't convenient.

Then I opened the front door and, talking to the air, said "mind how you go!". John spent ages moaning afterwards, saying that her secretary should have made an appointment, so I agreed with him, as I agreed with most things. :D

teetoe

Mar 10, 2016
NSW, Australia
You are an inspiration on how to handle pwds Scarlett, thanks! My OH and I have been together 42 years, but he's met everyone he sees on TV at a bar in Spain, on a plane or at a BBQ apparently, and he's travelled to every country in the world - all this must have happened before we met.:D
I'll try to be nicer and not question this in future.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
You are an inspiration on how to handle pwds Scarlett, thanks! My OH and I have been together 42 years, but he's met everyone he sees on TV at a bar in Spain, on a plane or at a BBQ apparently, and he's travelled to every country in the world - all this must have happened before we met.:D
I'll try to be nicer and not question this in future.

I just found that to "go with the flow" worked better every time, as it saved both of us from getting distressed. Donkeys years ago, there was an April Fools joke, on TV with Alan Whicker, where he showed strands of spaghetti, grown on trees. As this was in the late 50s, early 60s, and we didn't know such things, an awful lot of people, including my Mum and Dad, believed it.

They often show this, and John informed me he'd come up with the idea for "my friend Alan". "Well fancy that", I said. "And we're still getting the royalties from it - aren't we lucky". :D