hallucinations

angeluz

Jun 18, 2005
manila, philippines
my grandmother was hallucinating last night. she insist on seing things which are'nt really there.. is this really a part of alzeimers? i don't know what to do.. can't wake my sister up because she had a fever last night.. beside's what can she do? i felt so alone... i can take care of her needs, give her a bath and everything. but sometimes things are just too much for me.. i can't stand her yelling more so, i can't stand to see her getting crazy over something... i think i'm going crazy too. i love my grandmother so much. seeing her like this is too much for me to take. i miss the caring grandma i once have but i know that i have to prepare my self because the worst is yet to come..

Anne54

Sep 16, 2004
Nottingham
Hello angelus
My husband hallucinates all the time, the only time it upsets him is if I say there is nothing there, otherwise he finds it very entertaining he got very agitated before I realized what was happening. Now he has a good laugh about what ever it is he sees, everyone is different and I know from other posts that hallucinations can be very frightening but have you tried just agreeing with your Gran?
Anne

TED

Sep 14, 2004
Middlesex
Hello
I understand that this would be 'disturbing' for anyone
My mum is always 'seeing' things and talking to people who arent there, it really bothered me at first because I had no idea how best to respond. (the most regular one is trying to pet our dog Honey......who we sadly had to put down about 15 years ago !)

Now I go along with it for a short time and then bring the conversation back to one of 'remembering' people and places, esp with the dog cos we always had plenty of long walks with her

I guess it would depend on what 'things' your gran is seeing? Is there anything specific, is it just shadows and is this just at night?? Sorry for the questions I dont think there is a Y/N answer to this, please try not to worry (easily said I know) I am sure the good people here will have more good advice than I can impart.

Keep well
remember your Gran still loves you all
TED x

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Angelus,

Hallucinations are a very common part of AD. In the early days, my father used to hallucinate and hold conversations with friends and family who had died years before. It's pretty hard for us to know exactly where AD sufferers go in their heads, so I took the view that although I couldn't see or speak to these people, it didn't necessarily mean that they weren't there or real for Dad.

I agree with Anne here. Go with the flow on this. If your Gran believes in her hallucinations, then get into it with her if you can. You may learn some valuable things about where she is at the time. She will probably feel a lot less agitated if you go along with her rather than trying to talk her out of it. It's her reality right now, so I figure that's just fine.

Best wishes,

Jude

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Dear Angeluz,

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother's condition and the pressures that you are under.

The UK Alzheimer's Society has fact sheets on many of the aspects of Alzheimer's, including one on hallucinations which you can find here:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Caring...a/Unusual_behaviour/advice_hallucinations.htm

Have you checked out the web site of the Alzheimer's Disease Association of the Philippines (ADAP)? It can be found here:

http://www.alzphilippines.com/home.html

Take care and keep posting,

Sandy

angeluz

Jun 18, 2005
manila, philippines
hi everyone,

thanks for all the info.. it helped me deal with it somehow. now i'm feeling better and grams too. well i guess, i was not use to seeing her like that most specially when she's afraid and kind of violent on what she is seeing. like the other night, she was seeing three huge cat jumping in and out of the window and according to her it is jumping in front of her.. she got violent because the cat wanted to bite her. she wanted to break the window with a stick because there was a cat sitting on it. It totaly freaked me out!!.. BIG TIME! i don't know what to do to calm her down. she became more agitated when i told her that i am not seeing anything, she wanted to hit me....but i was kind of good in avoiding it. now grams is sleeping..

thanks to you guys for all the advice....

angeluz

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Angeluz, I remember one night when all else failed, - apparently there was a man up a ladder in her room, I said, OK, I'll see if he will come downstairs with me. I "asked" the "man" to please come down for a cuppa so we could all go back to sleep and "ushered" him out. Sounds silly, but it actually worked! Love She. XX

burnsj

Jul 10, 2005
Formby, Merseyside
from Jenny

Hi my name is Jenny, I have just registered today.

I am 24 and my Grandpa has been through exactly what you are talking about.

He used to think there were rats in the house, he would think Granny was trying to break into the house. He would make tea for six people when there were only him and Granny there. He thought I was pregnant and asked if I was going to keep it.

We didnt know if it was a side effect of the drugs he was on or part of the disease. Have you asked your doctor or the memory clinic about trying some medication? Or perhaps coming off medication and trying another type? We found that Grandpa reacts badly to all the Phsychiatric drugs.

But sometimes when Grandpa thought there were rats in the house it was because he had seen them on the telly and thought it was real. We had to be careful what we talked about and what was on telly, ie the news etc. If life of Grime ever came on we had to turn over straight away before he started.

We found the only way to deal with him when he was hallucinating was to talk to him. My Granny just could not get through to him, he wouldnt listen to her. However if we went round, he would listen. We would say that there was nobody there and that we would check the house and stay there until he was in bed, just trying to reassure him.

When he asked me if I was keeping the baby, I just made a big joke of it and said, Grandpa I can assure you there is no baby!! and laughed, he just coppied my behaviour and started laughing too.

Now when he talks and dosn't make sense we will agree with him as though he is making sense. He will say something like "Theres only three windows" and we will say something like. . "do you think there should be more?" Whereas we would have said originally, what are you talking about?

I think I may be waffling on. If you need to talk please get intouch. We have been through a lot and I think it will suprise us how similar things will be to your experiences.

Jenny xx

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Jenny,

Welcome to TP.

Hallucinations can be very difficult to deal with can't they? Your comments about the TV programmes are very common symptoms of AD and you seem to be doing a great job answering your grandfather. It's always better to try and get into the delusion, to agree if possible or to make light of it.

Best wishes,

Jude

approved

Jul 12, 2005
London
hallucinations and sleep

My mother had the same problem, with tablets hallucinations were bad.
I found the best way is to stop all caffine (use de-caffinated tea or coffee),
no suger (use sweetners + diabetic suger free jame ect), and no chocolate.

She sleeps a lot better, no hallucinations or aggression any more