Hallucinations & police

Cazb85

Jan 2, 2016
Hi everyone,
Sorry dad has another symptom/addition to his Alzheimer's.

For the last week or so he is having daily hallucinations. Seeing people in corners and people changing their coats and hanging their faces on hooks. This mixed with 'wanting to go home' is driving me mad!

Today he called the police because he said 3 people were in the house. Luckily it was a lovely policeman. Dad has done this before and they have dad on file but couldn't get me. (I had walked away from the phone at work) so went round anyway. They calmed dad down and spoke to me. Policeman rang back about an hour later to say they were giving it a record number but wasn't an incident number. I complained that the carers hadn't turned up for lunch time so it didn't help. Lovely policeman said I should have said and they would have got him something. Bless them.

Tonight he was still agitated and saying where is the truck to move our stuff as he wants to go home. It has taken me nearly an hour to calm him down. He just said he isn't too happy with the woman wearing the slip. I have covered all the mirrors. Hid all coats on backs of doors etc!

I am running out of steam to cope with it and respite is calling I think! Plus it will get him out of house for a week. Anyone else experienced this?

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
My mum did not see things but heard voices. She blamed the next door neighbours. She knocked the door at 2am, called the plluce 4 times one night and went to other neighbours to get help about the people in her house. It was all part of her having to go into the care home.

Cazb85

Jan 2, 2016
Thanks Celia I will check this out.

Yes quilty I am glad you said about it helping your decision because to be honest I waiver with the question 'does he need to be in a care home.' 9/10 times the answer is yes at the moment. The rate in deterioration with him is terrifying.

Loz97

Jan 19, 2016
Hallucinations

My father is suffering with Lewy body dementia, hallucinations are getting worse . There are alway hoodies in the room either sitting in corners trying to steal things. I feel so sorry for him because what he see's to him are real. Up to now we have had people queuing up in his living room waiting for a boat to queuing up waiting to get into his nightclub. Struggling with the descision to remove his independent living for his own safety! Also I feel like I am always fighting his corner on his behalf with various health departments! Surely should be more help available for this disease.

Cazb85

Jan 2, 2016
My father is suffering with Lewy body dementia, hallucinations are getting worse . There are alway hoodies in the room either sitting in corners trying to steal things. I feel so sorry for him because what he see's to him are real. Up to now we have had people queuing up in his living room waiting for a boat to queuing up waiting to get into his nightclub. Struggling with the descision to remove his independent living for his own safety! Also I feel like I am always fighting his corner on his behalf with various health departments! Surely should be more help available for this disease.

Your dad sounds the same as mine. I am just shocked at lack of help available. I have had to go and research all my help. Thank goodness for this forum.

Loz97

Jan 19, 2016
[QOTE=Cazb85;1223896]Your dad sounds the same as mine. I am just shocked at lack of help available. I have had to go and research all my help. Thank goodness for this forum.[/QUOTE]

Cazb85
That is why I have joined forum really to get advice from people in similar situations. What I do learn I may try and set something up to help others as help is far to is low from the authorities ! When I asked a doctor why do I have to chase up prescriptions appointments social workers! The doctor told me because my dad has got family we are probably being but lower on priority list ! Which is wrong.!

Cazb85

Jan 2, 2016
I have no family and I have to chase those things too. I think the whole system is wrong.

Dad went on a wander today. His first. Care company rung me to say he wasn't answering. I went home to find he wasn't there. I looked on cctv I installed (God send. Again me not LA). I rung the police who were with me within seconds. They put a call out to all officers on duty and I could hear over the radio he has been spotted recently. They took me in their car (a first for me) and we soon spotted him. He was without his coat and had his jumper with a zip on, backwards.

I got him home ok and he didn't know why he wandered and didn't know where he had been. If we hadn't found him I don't think he would have found his way.

I must say the police both yesterday and today have been amazing. The only public service that have been. They have been so kind and caring. I felt so guilty today in ringing them but they said I did the right thing and it was nice to be able to help.

I am heartbroken but it means I think my decision is made about getting him into a care home.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
So sorry but his safety has to come first. It fan work. Some people really enjoy the company and activity around them everyday. Its also nice to eat with other people.

Loz97

Jan 19, 2016
I have no family and I have to chase those things too. I think the whole system is wrong.

Dad went on a wander today. His first. Care company rung me to say he wasn't answering. I went home to find he wasn't there. I looked on cctv I installed (God send. Again me not LA). I rung the police who were with me within seconds. They put a call out to all officers on duty and I could hear over the radio he has been spotted recently. They took me in their car (a first for me) and we soon spotted him. He was without his coat and had his jumper with a zip on, backwards.

I got him home ok and he didn't know why he wandered and didn't know where he had been. If we hadn't found him I don't think he would have found his way.

I must say the police both yesterday and today have been amazing. The only public service that have been. They have been so kind and caring. I felt so guilty today in ringing them but they said I did the right thing and it was nice to be able to help.

I am heartbroken but it means I think my decision is made about getting him into a care home.

Bless you what a day ! I have not had a day like that yet but I fear it is just round the corner. Care home I think is the right decision to keep him
Safe. X

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Caz probably people have been through this before but can you not get him a place at a day centre? He would be able to eat with others and would be fully occupied and you could get on with your work and not have to worry about carers - these care agencies are ridiculous. Sorry if this is repetitive but people with dementia like all of us get really lonely even if they are loners and then their minds play even more tricks on them.

Do check for UTI - so common to have hallucinations with UTI

Cazb85

Jan 2, 2016
Caz probably people have been through this before but can you not get him a place at a day centre? He would be able to eat with others and would be fully occupied and you could get on with your work and not have to worry about carers - these care agencies are ridiculous. Sorry if this is repetitive but people with dementia like all of us get really lonely even if they are loners and then their minds play even more tricks on them.

Do check for UTI - so common to have hallucinations with UTI

He is refusing to go to day centres. Every time a social worker comes and asks him he kicks up a stink about it. I am so tired and now falling behind at work due to having time off. It is just getting worse and worse. I was going to ring gp today about getting a urine test but having to find dad completely threw my day off!

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Sounds a bit UTI
I'm not surprised you are exhausted. Can you just book him in and take him along one day and then from then on get transport - lots of people don't want to go first time. Just tell SW he does want to go!!!! You need to have a worry free work day and that would do the trick xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx It was my life saver with mum and my bet is that if you get him there once you won't have a problem again because he will quite like it but you would probs have to take him first time

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London

Hi Cabz how I agree with you about the police seeming to the only agency being helpful in a crisis when I was in crisis with my OH last year they were amazing and so kind to both of us I think you are making the right decision re care home at least you know he will be safe so kick that guilt monster into touch xx