Hallucinations / paranoia

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
Have I read somewhere that Hallucinations are a temporary stage in Dementia and will pass? I would appreciate thoughts and comments on that.

We're having a particularly bad spell with the Beast that is Dementia.

Last week I lay on the bed with my 90 year old Dad when he believed the police were after him. Save me he said, they are all watching me, they are all after me. We had to close the curtains. I lay on the bed with him and held his hand tightly and told him nothing would happen to him while I was holding his hand.

It is the most distressing thing to see your parent in such turmoil and terror and yet we do still feel very alone with his care.

Our situation is doubled because he is looked after 24/7 by my 89 year old mother who is physically and mentally shattered. I stayed with them for the week, but had to come home and I leave my sister coping as best she can.

After talking to the GP we have tried to find a respite place but most homes don't take Dementia patients for respite as they say it is too disorienting for them. In fact most residential EMI homes in my parents locality are full and we have put Dad's name on a waiting list but no idea how long it will be before Mum can have some respite.

catsalsus

Feb 6, 2008
Scotland
My mum is in the hallucination stage at the moment, she thinks she is looking after her brothers. She keeps getting cross because they keep leaving their toys out and she has to tidy up after them and she makes beds up for them on the sofa. We get told off at night as when we go to bed we lock the back door and she's concerned that they wont be able to get back in again. These brothers died nearly 50 years ago yet she never imagines the one who is still alive.

bridges

Jul 1, 2013
wirral
Have I read somewhere that Hallucinations are a temporary stage in Dementia and will pass? I would appreciate thoughts and comments on that.

We're having a particularly bad spell with the Beast that is Dementia.

Last week I lay on the bed with my 90 year old Dad when he believed the police were after him. Save me he said, they are all watching me, they are all after me. We had to close the curtains. I lay on the bed with him and held his hand tightly and told him nothing would happen to him while I was holding his hand.

It is the most distressing thing to see your parent in such turmoil and terror and yet we do still feel very alone with his care.

Our situation is doubled because he is looked after 24/7 by my 89 year old mother who is physically and mentally shattered. I stayed with them for the week, but had to come home and I leave my sister coping as best she can.

After talking to the GP we have tried to find a respite place but most homes don't take Dementia patients for respite as they say it is too disorienting for them. In fact most residential EMI homes in my parents locality are full and we have put Dad's name on a waiting list but no idea how long it will be before Mum can have some respite.
My mum had a stroke nearly 4 years ago which caused dementia, She had mad moments thinking police where after her, but as time went on she did seem better, than she had been. Also if they get water infections, this can really confuse them

Cfduti

May 13, 2013
I don't know whether the way I dealt with it had much effect though I can imagine it is possible to make things worse re the hallucinations but mum's gone from being, at times, freaked out by her hallucinations to being equanimous about them. They are more tragic for me so if I accept them but maintain a demeanour that it's not so bad and look isn't the day nice or whatever.... I was her older brother a couple of days ago and amazingly for the first time in my life I got a rundown on her siblings, names and all. She wondered where her two older sisters were and after coming to grips with what was happening I said they were dead and she calmly explained about her older sisters bad heart. It got a bit too much for me because some questions I wasn't sure what to say so I asked if she had what she needed and if I could get something for her. No: she had her books and crosswords and the 'funny little people' (a couple of buddha statues I got for her) that talk to her. As her older brother I'll be dead in a foxhole some 20 k's from the old homestead in Karelia in a couple of years. I look just like I did when I was 16 which makes mum at that moment about 11 and I'm keeping my promise to look after her that I made to her and her sisters.. That put me in a bit of a tail spin. I'm recovering by watching ''you've got mail.''
cheers, be happy

Last edited:

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
My mum had a stroke nearly 4 years ago which caused dementia, She had mad moments thinking police where after her, but as time went on she did seem better, than she had been. Also if they get water infections, this can really confuse them

Thanks for your comments. I did get the GP to check his wee and he is all clear. Blood tests normal too. Unfortunately but not surprisingly for someone of his great age he does have an enlarged prostate which means frequent visits to the loo and disturbs his sleep at night giving Mum even less rest and very little sleep