Hallucinating all night. HELP PLEASE

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
I'm not sure if I've already posted this as I'm absolutely shattered. I have just had to get up at 1.10 am because MIL has been hallucinating all night (actually the last 5 nights). Eventually I went in and she was trying to 'scrub' the floor because she said she could 'see' tangled cats hairs all over the floor and they were all tangled between her toes ( no cats allowed in her bedroom)

She has been non stop talking about her 'job' which pays a pittance and all the chores she has to do plus feed the boy......she goes on and on and on constantly

She had rummaged all through the wardrobe last night so we plan to get locks for that

Can the GP give anything medication wise for this. She has also started hallucinating in the day

I know others have had to endure this but this is a new phase for us and it's cracking us up......

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Hi

It does sound as if her Dr needs to see her and her medication reviewed. To state the obvious has she been checked for a water infection? These seem to send anyone with dementia completely off kilter.

I hope you manage to get some sleep.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Thank you but all been tested

Very tearful already as she never shut up all night including saying over and over again 'I love my son but don't care for his wife (that's me) because she's spiteful' !!!!!!!!!!!!

She has always made it very obvious she completely dislikes me from day one of me meeting hubby

I will definitely make GP appointment

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
I don't know if it is prescribed for mixed dementia (my hubby has Alz.)but Memantine helped when he was hallucinating.
Though in your mil' case it does sound as though it may be due to infection -- should she be tested again perhaps? Maybe blood test as well?

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I think your first stop should be MIL's GP. I agree with sleepless-sometimes an infection doesn't show up when first tested, but that doesn't mean that one isn't brewing.

Love

Lyn T XX

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
I have an appointment at 10.10 today. Her mood is absolutely foul..........refused breakfast. Still claiming things crawling everywhere!

Just rushed to my mums who has now developed dementia all the bins had the wrong things in them

Another job for us, we'll have to go over Sunday to sort the bins

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I usually have to get Mum checked twice when I think there is an infection as a chest infection seems to cause problems almost before it can be detected.

Sammyjo1

Jul 8, 2014
I can't offer any suggestions but just wanted to send huge waves of empathy as it sounds as if you are very close to breaking point. I do hope that the GP appointment manages to offer some kind of solution.

Big hugs xxx

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Yes I try to keep with ann's thread

Nearly finished antibiotics for chest infection

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
She'll be in a foul mood because I have to say all of this to her GP with her there!

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Been to the GP who prescribed olanzapine prn and referred back to memory clinic

marmarlade

Jan 26, 2015
hallucinating all night

when my hubby was home every night at bed time when he was in bed he saw a little white mouse on the bedroom floor, fell out of bed several times trying to get this mouse, to get rid of it i even put some cheese out for it then told him it had gone because it wasnt hungry any more.Well no mouse now just people walking along the landing, and a lot of policemen on his bed, used to take the policemen off ,put hubby back to bed and then we started all over again with the people walking along the landing, and so my nights when on for about 7 months until i just couldnt cope any more.Now in the care home we have horses in the lounge and brick walls out side his room,so for some dementia suffers i think this hallucinating just goes on ,with hubby we just agree with whatever he can see at that time

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Poor you, 1954 - and your poor Mil.

I really hope the orlanzapine works - my Mil has just been prescribed it, to try and help with her hallucinations/delusions and especially night time disturbances. The initial dose of 2.5mg x twice daily didn't seem to have much of an impact, but it was increased, last week, to 5mg at night - she has just had the wekend in respite, and the manager told me that she was so much better and that she thinks the new medication has made a big difference - so I have my fingers crossed. She was certainly calmer last night when she came home, and I didn't hear a peep during the night, so I am hoping. Got my fingers crossed that it helps you too xxxxxx

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
We had a much better night even though it took a lot to settle her. I held her hand when she was in bed and kept saying I promise I will not let anything hurt you (rather than telling what she thought she could see was not there)

Once asleep I left the room and put the monitor on. She only woke to use the commode

Today she's back to a near comatose situation and will not get up! Maybe 72hrs of constant manic behaviour has totally exhausted her??

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Mil has now been in bed since Monday. Following my visit to GP on Monday we have DN coming out to take blood this morning and also duty psychiatrist phoned and was going to do a home visit. Explained Mil has been very calm since the prescription of olanzapine (I've only given 2 tabs on Monday night) then she started hallucinating again last evening so had to give more. I hope I'll be able to get her into respite Tuesday!!

tigerqueen

Mar 11, 2014
Essex
1954 - Can't really offer any advice re hallucinations. However just wanted to suggest you contact the local council regarding the waste collection problem as they might have a scheme where someone with dementia is exempt from sorting their rubbish

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet